What's new

Surface Pro 3: Six Months Later

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my i5/8/256 for some months now, and I only have two areas of concern, none of them having to do with the number of USB ports:

1) Scaling is a pain. I use my SP3 in portable mode as I am right now typing this at my kitchen counter, but I also use it docked at my desk with two external monitors and all sorts of other devices attached to it. This whole issue of scaling is my major dislike.

2) Smaller item but nonetheless a pain: the touch pad is hard to use for finer work. Just lifting your finger off the touch pad will, in most cases, cause the cursor/pointer to move sometimes completely off what you're trying to click on. I truly love the type cover and use it a great deal; but the touch pad is weak compared to the fruit brand touch pad.

We all have things we wish were better, for sure. Overall, I'm very, very happy with my SP3. It's just in my use case scenario that the two items above cause me to complain.
You probably know this but on a touchpad you have to master the finger roll to be precise.
That's where instead of sliding your finger you roll it slightly on the tip to make fine adjustments.

Reactions: Fly

kristalsoldier

A fair review, I think.

Author Paul Thurrott's opinion:

- Weight and thickness
- Can replace laptop (and desktop via docking station)
- Software bundled is Microsoft Windows only. No 'crapware'.

Dislikes:
- Needs second USB
- Small screen
- Ecosystem only now emerging

And, in my opinion, Thurrott's "dislikes" don't apply to me.

First, I have no use for a second USB; second, having used and enjoyed a ThinkPad X201 for the longest while, the screen size is perfect for me; and third, the eco-system is more than adequate (and the desktop side of things goes a long way to alleviate any issues that I may have on the MUI side).

If I do have a niggling issues, it is the battery life - especially when using the desktop side of things. As things stand - and as has been discussed a number of times - the MUI apps are more battery efficient. If the same could apply to the desktop apps, that would be really helpful.

The keyboard - for me - is perfect. But I would have like a keyless Cover too.

All in all, the SP3 is one of the best machines I have ever used and it has thoroughly spoilt me in terms of what to expect from a mobility-oriented device.

dstrauss

This one quote blew me away: "And I've come to understand that the benefits of having one mobile device that can do the jobs of two others are outweighed by the reality of such devices: You're better off using Surface Pro 3 as an Ultrabook and carrying an iPad or Android tablet too."

Ouch. That's the one thing I didn't want to hear. If the Surface Pro 3 is only a superior ultrabook, then why not go MacBook Air, Ativ 9, or Lenovo X1 Carbon, with REAL keyboards and more peripheral support, if you are going to have to carry an iPad anyway.

NUTS!

malberttoo

I was kind of annoyed with only having one USB port when I first got it. But I have now completely changed my mind on it.

In real life use, for me anyways, I've rarely needed more than one port. Also it has changed my buying habits a bit, where I looked for a Bluetooth mouse and headset, when it came time to buy those things, so I wouldn't need to depend on the USB port for the receiver.

kristalsoldier

This one quote blew me away: "And I've come to understand that the benefits of having one mobile device that can do the jobs of two others are outweighed by the reality of such devices: You're better off using Surface Pro 3 as an Ultrabook and carrying an iPad or Android tablet too."

Ouch. That's the one thing I didn't want to hear. If the Surface Pro 3 is only a superior ultrabook, then why not go MacBook Air, Ativ 9, or Lenovo X1 Carbon, with REAL keyboards and more peripheral support, if you are going to have to carry an iPad anyway.

NUTS!

While I don't agree with Thurrott's point of view here, I do carry two devices at all times - one is my SP3 and the other is my iPad Air. I carry the latter because I use it as a dedicated e-reader and I need a second screen when I am working as it serves as a display for my reference texts.

Reactions: Fly

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the thing is two devices are now lighter and smaller than one used to be. You don't need two devices but the weight and form factor makes it a viable choice with benefits.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My two devices are the Surface Pro 3 and the iPhone 6 Plus. The iPhone was big enough to replace my iPad.

NUTS!

I think mainly where this is true, is that tablets are pretty much consumption devices - they're for browsing or watching videos, etc - and you'll eat through the battery on the SP3 pretty quick if you want to experience the full tablet experience (ie not dimming the screen to 30% for a movie). If the SP3 had, say, a 90 mWh battery, instead of its paltry 42 mWh battery, than I'd give it higher marks as a tablet. As is, I never wanted to waste battery life on the tablet side of things when there were pdfs to view and papers to write - just a quick foray here and there.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Now I only need 3 devices. My SP3 i5, my Lumia 1520, and my Microsoft Band. The combo of the 3 is fantastic.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that I also carry my Microsoft Band. Comfortable enough, that I forgot about it as a 'device'.
So I carry three, also.

But I wonder how long before some angry birds hanging on the lines around here start saying that the Microsoft Band is flawed - lacking a USB port or two. And a keyboard. :rolleyes:

It DOES have GPS, though!

tat3406

I had my i5 256G version 3 months ago, so far only few cons:
1. no regular SD card slot. All my camera used SD card, and only one usb port make it worse when transfer file from card to external drive or using other USB devise. USB hub solve this problem but against the portability of surface.
2. It can replace replace laptops but not tablet. Lagging of apps, some apps unavailable on browser. No LTE option, No GPS.But this is not big problem for me, my Samsung Galaxy note can cover this.

bvone21

Would have liked a full size SD card slot...even if it was of the type where it stuck out of the side while in use, just for photo transfers...I'm sure the case is crammed as it is and that it was considered and axed...

Fully expecting a broadwell refresh in the same chassis following Win 10 launch, which won't be a bad thing. But maybe they'll surprise us and pull out the stops with a few more tweaks for the new OS release.

Hope they don't touch the display....size, aspect ratio and resolution are all good where they are.