What's new

Surface Pro 3 slow WiFi speed after udpate?

be77solo

Go to command prompt and copy and paste Powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

it will automatically change your power setting to high performance, and if you want to change it back to balance click your battery icon on your taskbar and click "more battery options" to change it.

This needs to be sticky. When plugged in, I want High Performance.
I agree, is this documented anywhere?

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, quick search turned up a bit more info for how this works for us not in the know ;) Just tried it from an Administrators CMD Prompt as instructed above and screen instantly got brighter and CPU is now idling at 29x.... it definitely did something

http://michlstechblog.info/blog/tag/power-plan/

Last edited:

geckoking

Thanks for the tip. I put in high performance and now the screen adjust brightness on it's own. Sometimes it dim and sometime it brightens. Don't know if the system is kicking me back and forth between high performance and balance. Man battery does drain fast on High Performance. However Wifi i and bit higher and stable.

joell85

Go to command prompt and copy and paste Powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

it will automatically change your power setting to high performance, and if you want to change it back to balance click your battery icon on your taskbar and click "more battery options" to change it.

Excellent tip. Might I recommend using this to create a handy batch file? I now have it as a shortcut on my desktop.

A quick test shows a increase of about 10% in sunspider on high power. (average of 120 on balanced, 105 on high power)

Last edited:

bamaster

Thanks for the tip. I put in high performance and now the screen adjust brightness on it's own. Sometimes it dim and sometime it brightens. Don't know if the system is kicking me back and forth between high performance and balance. Man battery does drain fast on High Performance. However Wifi i and bit higher and stable.

Adaptive Brightness is on.

fc000

The powercfg command made a minor difference, but I'm still getting significantly better WiFi connections when the power adaptor is plugged in. One example, I cannot use Steam In-Home streaming unless I've got the power connected. If I try without it, I can launch titles, but the connection is slow or will drop out entirely. If I disconnect the power while in a session, it'll become erratic, and am unable to get it to work at all again until I close Steam, and cycle the WiFi. It's definitely quite quirky, and the powercfg command doesn't appear to be restoring WiFi to it's full potential like have the power connected.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The powercfg command made a minor difference, but I'm still getting significantly better WiFi connections when the power adaptor is plugged in. One example, I cannot use Steam In-Home streaming unless I've got the power connected. If I try without it, I can launch titles, but the connection is slow or will drop out entirely. If I disconnect the power while in a session, it'll become erratic, and am unable to get it to work at all again until I close Steam, and cycle the WiFi. It's definitely quite quirky, and the powercfg command doesn't appear to be restoring WiFi to it's full potential like have the power connected.

Try this:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...issues-possible-fix-tested-last-48-hours.html

This is interesting. I reverted to the original drivers a few days ago and have been enjoying issue free WiFi. I noticed a different solution yesterday at the MS forums that suggested installing the new drivers and then resetting the power manager unit (up volume + power button). I tried that yesterday and oddly enough I have had no WiFi issues which in the past showed up fairly quickly after just installing the new drivers.

I'll keep this post in mind if the WiFi issues return. Thanks.