What's new

Surface Pro 3 Trade-in Program?

kevinlevrone

I didn't call anyone lame. I said entitlement is lame.But the idea that we're somehow owed special treatment because we are Surface owners is childish.

And still, if you are an Apple customer you can trade in certain iPhones or iPads (even a few years old) for a very high price towards the newest model. This may make Apple lame or childish in your view, but it seems to me like a great way to treat your customers and keep them buying your products and not the competition's products. It actually benefits the company AND the customer, no one loses money, because the money would otherwise go to a competing company.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK Peeps, Microsoft has had a Recycle/Trade-in Program In Store for 2 years, what you get for your product varies, there is also Amazon, BestBuy and Gazelle where you get trade in credit...you will most likely get more through eBay or Craig's List. I bought my Xbox One by trading in our 3 RTs and a Samsung Ultratouch Series 5 laptop, we received around $550 for the 4 devices.

When I bought my Lumia 1520 I received $85 for my Lumia 920 from the MS Store.

Arizona Willie

My Original Surface Pro is working just fine.

Haven't had any problems with it at all.

Funny you say this... I recognize a few of these names in this thread who have ALL had issues with their SP2 that required replacements... So yea, don't expect anyone to like being called "lame" when the product they purchased has been riddled with problems big & small.

Example - I'm on my THIRD SP2 because of a creaky screen and guess what? SP2 number 3 is starting to do the same thing... There's a tiny thought in the back of my head that says hell maybe this SP3 won't have this issue and I wish I would have waited so I didn't waste my time with the headache that I call the SP2.

On the other hand if I could get my money back I wouldn't bother with the surface family anymore. The amount of annoying hardware and software problems that I have seen makes me wish I would have went with a different device.

Seneleron

You need to buy what YOU NEED.

As a PC enthusiast, this comment had me ROLLING! There are some people out there [and I happily admit to being one of them] that absolutely *HAVE* to have the latest greatest shiny. THAT said, the SP3 IMO is a complete waste of time. Here are the highlights:

2560 x 1440 screen. Oh boy, jumping on the UHD bandwagon, while having failed YET to fix scaling issues on your EXISTING products. This will make complete sense with Broadwell, when Iris integrated is standard. . .but not now.
Price point/performance. You want me to pay *HOW* much money for an i7 equipped notebook, plus an extra $150 for keyboard, $200 for dock. . . . I can get a 2014 Razer Blade 14" FOR $2200. Comes with an 870m and a 3800 x 1800 touch screen, and a HIGH END i7. Last year's model, if you can find one, is on clearance for $1500.

Unfortunately, that's 95% of the SP3 right there. You can call my comparison to the new Blade apples to oranges, but let's face it: There are still dozens of better price/performance ultrabooks in the 12-14" category. Several have already been mentioned.

I don't know what MS was aiming for here. . . but I have a hard time seeing this one NOT falling flat.

As far as the mini is concerned, you can google around to find the several speculations as to why that announcement may have been pulled at the last second. I glanced at a few articles this morning, but I'm not going back after them.

GoodBytes

As a PC enthusiast, this comment had me ROLLING! There are some people out there [and I happily admit to being one of them] that absolutely *HAVE* to have the latest greatest shiny. THAT said, the SP3 IMO is a complete waste of time. Here are the highlights:
I am a computer enthusiasts as well. I am not saying what other people are doing. I don't care what other do and doing. I am saying what you should be doing :)

2560 x 1440 screen. Oh boy, jumping on the UHD bandwagon, while having failed YET to fix scaling issues on your EXISTING products. This will make complete sense with Broadwell, when Iris integrated is standard. . .but not now.
Price point/performance. You want me to pay *HOW* much money for an i7 equipped notebook, plus an extra $150 for keyboard, $200 for dock. . . . I can get a 2014 Razer Blade 14" FOR $2200. Comes with an 870m and a 3800 x 1800 touch screen, and a HIGH END i7. Last year's model, if you can find one, is on clearance for $1500.
As much as the Razor is an awesome machine, it is louder, shorter battery life, and significantly heavier than the Surface Pro 3, and it does not feature multitouch nor has a digitize pen technology, which are both costly additions, if you want the technology that you don't want to fight with.

The resolution of the SP3 is: 2160x1440, as it is 3:2 aspect ratio not 16:9.

The Core i7 is a VERY bad decision. The CPU is a DUAL core CPU, with hyper-threading (exactly like the Core i5 model), base clock is 1.7GHz, while the Core i5 model is 1.9GHz (yes faster).
Turbo Boost is 3.3GHz, while the i5 is 2.9GHz. And as you know, Turbo Boost is the theoretical max speed of the CPU. It only goes there if the CPU sees that the heat can be handle. On my Pro 2, it peeks on rare occasion at 2.9Ghz, most of the time when pushed, it is at 2.8GHz, and if pushed for longer, it is 2.6GHz. So that 3.3GHz probably won't get used much.
All you get is the HD5000 graphics, which I would be exited for, IF Intel was actually serious about their graphic solution, and FULLY support OpenGL, DirectX, OpenCL, and DirectCompute. Sadly, it does not, and is responsible for game crashes, and you are forced to drop visual settings to avoid the advance API calls to avoid the crash, despite having the performance get enjoy the games at "playable" frame rates. In addition, the performance of teh HD4400 and teh HD5000 isn't big.

Core i5 is the best choice. If you have the Pro 2, well you already have that CPU. So it is a bit ridicoulus to upgrade, unless you have something you absolutely need and worth over 1k$ to get it. Wait for Pro 4 with Broadwell, as a minimum (I expect the performance boost to be ~10% like previous generation version to the newer one, but the Pro 4 can potentially have USB 3.1, SATA-Express SSD, and far improved battery life, not to mention even further improvement on the device).

Unfortunately, that's 95% of the SP3 right there. You can call my comparison to the new Blade apples to oranges, but let's face it: There are still dozens of better price/performance ultrabooks in the 12-14" category. Several have already been mentioned.
So then don't buy the Surface Pro 3. And enjoy system subsidized with junk-ware, which leaks in the recovery image, lower build quality for many system, lower after sale service for many of them, and not the best Windows experience possible, and louder and heavier. Benchmark has showed that the Surface Pro 2 rev 1 beats the same specs ultrabooks.

If you see no value for these additional features, then simply the Surface Pro 3 is not for you. No one said that this is the device that fits everyone need.

xramz

Well a laptop can't do all what the SP3 can do, but beside that I agree.
What I am disappointed is the single USB port. Microsoft got a free pass from the SP1ma d2 as there was genuinely no space for it. Now there is. So, it is unacceptable.

Here is what I expect from the SP4:
-> more scratch resistant glass, to a level where you don't need a screen protector.
-> much reduce reflection (new kind of glass)
-> 2x USB 3.0 ports, or 3.1 if that comes out
-> Return of the magnetic connector, which has been removed from the SP3
-> 5th gen Core i series CPU.

I don't think they could fit another USB port. I could be wrong but I think that due to the thinness of the device they just spread everything out. Like flattening dough. same internal space even thought the device is bigger. But just speculating.
-> Also I don't believe you can have a flat non matte screen that doesn't reflect. The only way you're going to get non-reflective glass is if they made it matte.
-> The magnetic connector is present in the SP3, it's merely recessed into the device more so it's easier to connect (at least that's what I've seen/been told in videos on youtube)

ALSO
Very surprised how many people say they've had several device replacements and having software and hardware issues. I'm using my first SP2 and I haven't had one single issue with either the hardware or software :/

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Possible. We have to wait for tear down pictures
ALSO
Very surprised how many people say they've had several device replacements and having software and hardware issues. I'm using my first SP2 and I haven't had one single issue with either the hardware or software :/

Yea same here. I think its just manufacture errors, which happens to other devices, or the December firmware, which is true to be a big mistake from Microsoft part. But it looks like now they are spending more time in testing their firmware, so lesson learned it looks like.

Last edited:

macmee

Possible. We have to wait for tear down pictures

Yea same here. I think its just manufacture errors, which happens to other devices, or the December firmware, which is true to be a big mistake from Microsoft part. But it looks like now they are spending more time in testing their firmware, so lesson learned it looks like.

Yup. In December my device was a terrible mess. Many updates later and it works almost flawlessly, with the exception of not being able to use sleep mode.

mcsenerd

I would like to upgrade to the SP3 just for the screen size increase. I don't know what peeps are whining about though... If you don't like the larger screen/New Pen Tech, then buy a SP2 Pro...they said that they're going to continue to sell them. Personally, I bought the SP1 Pro when it was on ridiculous sale for the 128GB version at Best Buy a while back just to play with and see if it fit into my workflow. Well, it certainly did, and I liked it so much that I had to convince the boss (my wife) to let me upgrade to the SP2 256GB model for the better battery life/more RAM. I've had only one stupid problem with the Windows Store on the SP2 and zero issues with the SP1. If I get the notion, I'll just sell both of these models and then upgrade to the i5/256GB SP3 Pro in a few months. The only "real" bummer I see is that I'll be forced to buy the new keyboard to go with it, but if the touchpad is really that much better on the new one...then that in and of itself is almost reason enough to upgrade in my opinion because I HATE the one that's on the currently available type and touch covers.

mtalinm

No think sp2 is deprecated and there will be no more after available stock is gone.

You can use your existing keyboard with the SP3; it has the same connectors.

I would think that a trade in program will help MS in increasing their sales of the SP3 and making sure of not losing their existing customers , the technology used is almost same so they can disect it and use it in SP3s , thats a win win situation. i really dont like the 12" screen size but really love the thinness on the SP3 why didnt they let it be just 10" and that thinner ! it would have been amazing. just would like to get my hands on one cuz i like to have the latest product :) , using my Sp2 is great but since i cracked the screen from the bazel m now not able to use the touch screen feacture but the mouse and pen work pretty good. so for now contended with the SP2 but if i get a chance would go with the SP3 :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would think that a trade in program will help MS in increasing their sales of the SP3 and making sure of not losing their existing customers , the technology used is almost same so they can disect it and use it in SP3s , thats a win win situation. i really dont like the 12" screen size but really love the thinness on the SP3 why didnt they let it be just 10" and that thinner ! it would have been amazing. just would like to get my hands on one cuz i like to have the latest product :) , using my Sp2 is great but since i cracked the screen from the bazel m now not able to use the touch screen feacture but the mouse and pen work pretty good. so for now contended with the SP2 but if i get a chance would go with the SP3 :)

The MS Stores have a Trade-in/Recycle Program, but it is in Store only, BestBuy has one as well, as does Amazon and Gazelle, I know currently Gazelle is offering $550 for Surface Pro 2 256/8 in Flawless condition.