What's new

Surface Pro 3 web browsing speed

cdf3

I plan on getting the Surface Pro 3. I sure hope the web browser speeds of the Pro 3 are faster than the Pro 2.
Since they have the same processor, I doubtful.
I have the Pro 2, and I'm a little disappointed in the speed time it takes to load web pages.
I did a test between it and several computers I have. My 20012 MacBook Pro i5 model loaded faster every time.
My Pro 2 also loaded pages slower than my ASUS X200CA 1.5 GHz Intel Celeron 1007U.
The ASUS is a $249 device. I thought for sure my Pro 2 would trump it.
All 3 devices were running the Chrome browser.

CrippsCorner

Dude I should think you had some underlining problem with your Surface... mine's the original and everything works as if it's instant. Did you ever try a factory restore?

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Dude I should think you had some underlining problem with your Surface... mine's the original and everything works as if it's instant. Did you ever try a factory restore?
Yep. It works, but when I do a real world test against my other computers, the web browser isn't as fast. It does load programs faster than any computer I have. I've heard that the Pro 3 has a new wifi card. I'll do a test when I get it.

benjitek

...I sure hope the web browser speeds of the Pro 3 are faster than the Pro 2...Since they have the same processor, I doubtful...
I've had a 512GB SP2 for about 4 months now, and I agree -- screen redraws, windows opening and closing, etc, all contribute to an overall perception of sluggishness. File operations are zippy and compensate for a lot of it, but I was expecting something faster overall. I've attributed it to it being an i5 processor. It works fine, fast enough, fine once it gets where it's going.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the SP3 in that regard. I played around with a Best Buy display model yesterday, and it was much faster -- including web browsing. I assumed it was an i7 processor, but when I checked the system settings found it to be an i5. Looks like a great device!

bamaster

I would look at the Power Plan. Try bumping it to High Performance. I would sense sluggishness when it was in Power Saver mode. Maybe the graphics rendering was throttled down? Or maybe the wifi strength is pegged down a notch. Not sure. But browsing is snappier in High Performance mode, for me.

Last edited:

benjitek

I would look at the Power Plan. Try bumping it to High Performance. I would sense sluggishness when it was in Power Saver mode. Maybe the graphics rendering was throttled down? Or maybe the wifi strength is pegged down a notch. Not sure. But browsing is snappier in High Performance mode, for me.
Nah... everything is full speed ahead. I've been into advanced power plan settings, everything is at 100% with exception to screen brightness when running on battery. It is what it is -- not troubleshoot-able ;-)

Ravynmagi

I had a similar problem with a Surface Pro 1. Out of the box, web browsing with IE was really slow. It was slower than my Atom based Dell Venue 8 Pro, which made no sense. I sent a day or two troubleshooting the browser and Windows, but could find no reason for the slow down. Cleared caches, reinstalled Wireless drivers, tried a wired USB to ethernet adapter, a few other voodoo tips I Googled, nothing worked. So I did a factory reset and the problem was solved. Later I picked up a Surface 2 (RT) and it had the same issue, so I immediately did a factory reset and that fixed it as well.

Seneleron

I forget if the settings are there in the wifi config on the SP3, but typically I have to change a few settings, enable WWM, change from 20Hz to "auto" (this allows transmission on both 20Hz and 40Hz)

Seems I have to change the settings every time on just about every machine that rolls through the house. Also, signal strengh isn't quite as strong on the SP2 as I would've liked. I'm assuming it has to do with the antenna array and the small form factor. Not that it did TERRIBLE, but while the connection was active it did tend to dip under 150.