What's new

Surface Pro 3 - Why?

Knuck

First off I should make it clear that I am an SP2/256/8gb owner who did not experience most of the issues many others have reported. I have thoroughly enjoyed my SP2 as a tablet, laptop and desktop replacement. I run programs such as Adobe Premier and PS CC without issue. The only limitations I have discovered is with respect to the single USB port as I cannot run all my USB peripherals when docked and have to shut some off to use others. I was optimistically awaiting an improved version in the latt 2014/ early 2015. I did not expect what we got.

My question based on the limited info available to date is why would anyone want to upgrade. It seems clear that Microsoft does not listen to its users as many suggested upgrades did not make it into the new version. Instead of perfecting the excellent SP2, Microsoft has made a feeble attempt to attract Apple customers with its antiquated 3:2 screen format. There are very few benefits I can see with the new model. The CPU is virtually the same with the i5 versions and the graphics are only marginally better still using the deficient Intel graphics chips. True, you can now get faster performance with the i7 chips, at a significant cost, but you are still stuck with Intel graphics and a single USB port. The i7 must be perceived as a desktop replacement but with only 1 USB port it is severely limited. Personally I prefer the 16:9 form factor on my tablets and can use an external monitor if I want something else at home or in the office. Power management appears to have taken a step backward and I expect real world battery performance to remain the same or decrease as a result of the larger screen. To add insult to injury, most accessories such as the SP2 docking station, power cords and the form factor of the Type Cover 2 won't work on the new models. Instead of improving on the horrible design of the power cord they modify it slightly so that older cords will no longer work. Microsoft what were you thinking?

IMO this is not an evolution of the surface but a step backwards with what should be called a surface 12.2 This is a sad day for SP2 owners. We are not getting an improved version of what we committed to and have basically thrown away any money we spent on accessories which should be useable with the next-generation version. Also, its shareholders, after the likely dismal sales, will finally succeed in their efforts to get Microsoft out of the hardware marketplace. I think Microsoft was in a great position to move their innovative and unique but struggling Surface products forward but instead have probably driven the final stake into its coffin. Time will tell.

EMINENT

I love everything they did with it. Thinner, lighter, bigger screen, etc. What's not to like?

Well, maybe because I sold my Pro 1 for a Surface 2 when it came out, due to me not needing the power. I wanted the weight savings and now I can have both with the SP3.

leeshor

@Kanuck
A (preferably powered) USB HUB would solve a part of the only real problem you have.

When Windows 7 was under development people on the Microsoft forums made great suggestions and Microsoft listened. On those same forums the users made suggestions to improve Windows 8 when it was being developed and were pretty much ignored. With the recent upgrades/updates they have been attempting to do some of the things the people on their forums wanted them to do in the first place. I think their mindset has changed and they aren't listing the way they once did. Someone there thinks they know best. I have had a close relationship with Microsoft since 1992 and have seen this before. But that was before they got into the hardware business. Just my opinion.

OP
K

Knuck

I love everything they did with it. Thinner, lighter, bigger screen, etc. What's not to like?

Thinner, lighter but still thick and heavy compared to other tablets.

A (preferably powered) USB HUB would solve a part of the only real problem you have.

Thanks for the tip Leesport. Unfortunately, tried several powered HUBs to no avail. Well reported problem without solution. I guess its a limitation in Win 8.1 and the USB bus.

leeshor

I have a customer using a powered HUB on a SP2 and it works. What are you trying to connect?

OP
K

Knuck

I have a customer using a powered HUB on a SP2 and it works. What are you trying to connect?

I can only connect 7 peripherals at a time. After 7 I get a USB resources exceeded message. I am trying to connect a printer, 2 scanners, a monitor, 4 hard drives, a keyboard, a display calibrator, USB speakers and a card reader.

mohcho

I had an SP2 i5/128GB and used it as a laptop replacement at work. It ran faster than my i5 Dell laptop and it drove two 22" monitors. I could do all my work on it, and play games on Steam. It ran 8 full hours one day (with the screen off - driving two monitors) and still had 32% on the battery. And it was 2lbs and thinner and more compact than a laptop.

Considering what these devices are and can do, I think it's quite a feat. The larger screen and better keyboard/touchpad vs the SP2 is an improvement of the annoyances that I did experience with the SP2.

Knuck, that's a large number of USB devices you're using there, all things considered. What kind/brand of USB hub are you using? I wouldn't run that many devices off a desktop normally, much less than a tablet.

OP
K

Knuck

Knuck, that's a large number of USB devices you're using there, all things considered. What kind/brand of USB hub are you using? I wouldn't run that many devices off a desktop normally, much less than a tablet.

I'm using the Microsoft docking station and Belkin USB 3.0 powered hubs. I have tried Ancker and StarTech powered hubs as well. I don't think its a tablet or hub issue but simply not enough ports provided. I think one more USB port would solve the problem.

OP
K

Knuck

I think you need to get a desktop...IMO

Actually the SP2 works great except for the HUB issue which isn't a big deal. My original point was that the SP3 i7 version should have included another USB port given its price and intended use as a desktop replacement.

Rabbix

I can only connect 7 peripherals at a time. After 7 I get a USB resources exceeded message. I am trying to connect a printer, 2 scanners, a monitor, 4 hard drives, a keyboard, a display calibrator, USB speakers and a card reader.

I have received this same message on the SP2 utilizing even less devices than 7 while in the docking port. For Reference these are the devices connected to my SP2 Dock:

1. USB Mouse
2. USB Sound Device (DAC)
3. USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

For instance, if I then try to plug in a Microsoft XBOX 360 USB wireless receiver into the dock, I get the error.

While we do not have any hard facts yet on the SP3 concerning these limitations, a couple of pieces of information do look promising:

1. The Power connector serves as a high-speed dataport for the docking station:
7 Things You Didn?t Know About Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 (#2)

2. More connections/bandwidth on the new docking station (assuming due to the new dataport):
3x USB 3.0 ports
2x USB 2.0 ports
1x Mini Display Port
1x Gigabit Ethernet

I am hopeful that this new "data port" connection will improve the amount of devices I am able to connect at once.

leeshor

The number of devices you are trying to attach is over the top. I'm personally not surprised you're running into a resource exhaust problem. I'm not certain there is much that could be done to get all of those working. Why so many drives? Why not network with existing drive(s) on another system on the network?