What's new

Surface pro 3 will have an i5-4300U processor, should I wait for the i7?

mtalinm

Its the same chip, right? So how can it be any faster. Of course, the comparison link from the prior page is not all that encouraging...

If they had a 60 day return policy I would get the i5 on 6/20 and then swap for an i7 on 8/31. Ok a 71 day return policy

I worry about battery consumption a bit because I'm sure the 9 hours being tossed around is for the i3

Ruffles

Interesting. I thought all i7's were quad core and that the i5's were dual core. I didn't realize there were dual core i7's. I'm not sure ~15% is really worth that much more.

kristalsoldier

Its the same chip, right? So how can it be any faster. Of course, the comparison link from the prior page is not all that encouraging...

If they had a 60 day return policy I would get the i5 on 6/20 and then swap for an i7 on 8/31. Ok a 71 day return policy ��

I worry about battery consumption a bit because I'm sure the 9 hours being tossed around is for the i3

Yeah...this is something that I am concerned about too!

CrippsCorner

If Microsoft releases a new Surface every 6 months then that would mark it around Nov 2014 for the next Surface Pro. Will Broadwell release by then?

I really hope this won't be the case though, it's already kinda of ridiculous that they've released three in this short time...

I think they're doing it like Google with Chrome and making lots of versions as quick as possible to make it seem like an established product.

mtalinm

they are doing it because the product is selling so poorly and embarrassing the company. If it were a hit they would be on the usual slow release cycle to milk profits.

I really hope this won't be the case though, it's already kinda of ridiculous that they've released three in this short time...

I think they're doing it like Google with Chrome and making lots of versions as quick as possible to make it seem like an established product.

Dannieljs

they are doing it because the product is selling so poorly and embarrassing the company. If it were a hit they would be on the usual slow release cycle to milk profits.

I think Microsoft is preparing to fight with iPad pro (or whatever it name will be)

SP pro 3 is quite tempting, but i just bought my SP pro 2 just 3 day ago from australia, and my problem is i'm in the country that microsoft don't sell surface.:shocked:
so i cannot just return it.

i think i will stay with my SP pro 2 and then will go for SP pro 4 or 5 :big smile:
but i will stay tune for the news about sp pro 3

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It does and there is, but it isn't in distribution yet because the i7 will not be released until August and subject to change....

demandarin

Its seeming that way. Like when I got my pro1. Only a month or so later the 2 is announced n I'm already passed my return period.lol still love my pro 1 though. Glad I didn't give in and get a pro 2. Now pro3 is defy Italy on the radar. I love the larger screen and it being as rhin as a Surface 2. Sexy Beast!

mtalinm

well here is another reason to wait. Ed Bott says that the SP3 dock may not ship until August. there's no way I'm going back to a dockless setup as I have two external monitors. so I'll wait for i7.

new dock is said to have more USB ports, gigabit Ethernet, and support for 4k external monitors. yum