What's new

Surface Pro 3 won't hibernate after connected standby

Ryuuji

Hi,

My question is basically in the title. My Surface won't go into hibernation after connected standby since around a week ago. Sometimes it goes but most of the time it doesn't. I don't know why it doesn't go. I only have the Modern Ui Internet Explorer open.

Also since a week ago my batter life has diminished from around 8 to 6 hours. Sometimes my Surface gets hot and the Fan starts. I know that the Processes system causes this load, but I don't know more precise.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 installed, also I have my Surface hooked up to my WHS 2011, and Lights-Out running.

Also the Office click and run service always stats it self, is it a battery eater?
I already went to services and set it to manually start, but it still starts on its own. Can I safely disable the service?

Edit. Can Image intensive websites cause shorter battery life? In the last few days I#m reading a lot of Mangas and Manhwa/Webbtoons.

Last edited:

nipponham

You say your question is your post title but what you describe in your post is different. Not going into hibernate after CS is different from not going into CS at all. Which is it?

ctitanic

Hi,

My question is basically in the title. My Surface won't go into connected standby since around a week ago. Sometimes it goes but most of the time it doesn't. I don't know why it doesn't go. I only have the Modern Ui Internet Explorer open.

Also since a week ago my batter life has diminished from around 8 to 6 hours. Sometimes my Surface gets hot and the Fan starts. I know that the Processes system causes this load, but I don't know more precise.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 installed, also I have my Surface hooked up to my WHS 2011, and Lights-Out running.

Also the Office click and run service always stats it self, is it a battery eater?
I already went to services and set it to manually start, but it still starts on its own. Can I safely disable the service?

Edit. Can Image intensive websites cause shorter battery life? In the last few days I#m reading a lot of Mangas and Manhwa/Webbtoons.
How do you know that it does not goto connected standby?
Do you have hyper-V enabled?

OP
R

Ryuuji

Sorry Sorry I accidentally wrote it wrong. I meant hibernate after 4 hours. It alwasy goes into Connected Standby. Where I'm its Night. Sorry. I fixed the Post I forgot two words. hibernation after

OP
R

Ryuuji

Ok I read it. I will look over it again tomorrow, because I'm not that good with the command line. Also two days ago my Surface went hibernating. That's what I meant. Sometimes it goes hibernating after 4 hours sometimes not.

in the Text is about when the Surface never goes hibernating.

Is there a Program to find out what is waking up my SP3 during Connected Standby? Also How is that possible when I'm not even on my SP3?When its in connected standby. I thought only Modern Ui Apps work during connected standby.

Liam2349

That means that something is waking your SP3 before the 4 hours period of connected standby is gone.

Please check this:
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2998588/en-us

Not necessarily waking the device, but just preventing it from going into deeper sleep. I believe what the OP is explaining is similar to the issue I've had, for about a month or slightly more, after which it randomly stopped.

In my case, the device would enter CS and stay there for as long as you let it, eating up large chunks of battery. It also used a lot more power in CS than usual, which was 4%/hour rather than about 0.5%/hour.

Unfortunately, I never found out what caused it or why, but I know it didn't fix with Windows updates because I haven't done the last two batches.

OP
R

Ryuuji

I made a few pictures. Also I do have something similar like Liam2349
Ft7hLm8.png
If you look at it you see that almost 7:30 Hours went by and it didn't hibernate. The morning before it did.

Also I have made 2 pictures of my Task-Manager. I uploadet them to Imgur, I wanted to past them in but they are to big so I just copied the url.

http://i.imgur.com/6ydbkvG.png

http://i.imgur.com/DH6KJAq.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

My question is basically in the title. My Surface won't go into hibernation after connected standby since around a week ago. Sometimes it goes but most of the time it doesn't. I don't know why it doesn't go. I only have the Modern Ui Internet Explorer open.

Have you attempted to do a Sleep Study? From an elevated CMD Prompt run powercfg /sleedstudy and copy the HTML File to your profile and open with IE.

Liam2349

I made a few pictures. Also I do have something similar like Liam2349
Ft7hLm8.png

Actually, I remember what fixed it. Sorry, tired here too.

I solved it by shutting down my SP3 every night.

This isn't to limit the CS time by cutting the power - after doing this, my CS sessions were back to low power consumption and auto-capped themselves at 4 hours. I was shutting down each night for several days in a row before it worked for me.

If you do the sleepstudy report, I think you will see PLM phase and the Marvell chip as the main offenders - that's what I had.

OP
R

Ryuuji

I did a Sleep-study. As Liam said it's mostly the Marvel W-Lan, Also my drive, and a device called "BI"

Can I upload my sleep-study report? Because I don't exactly understand all of it.

Edit.

Actually, I remember what fixed it. Sorry, tired here too.

I solved it by shutting down my SP3 every night.

This isn't to limit the CS time by cutting the power - after doing this, my CS sessions were back to low power consumption and auto-capped themselves at 4 hours. I was shutting down each night for several days in a row before it worked for me.

If you do the sleepstudy report, I think you will see PLM phase and the Marvell chip as the main offenders - that's what I had.

Liam how did you shut your SP3 off? Over the power button? or Shutdown.exe? or over the pull-down on the Charms side? Also how long did it take you before it went back to normal? one night, three nights?

Last edited:

Liam2349

I did a Sleep-study. As Liam said it's mostly the Marvel W-Lan, Also my drive, and a device called "BI"

Can I upload my sleep-study report? Because I don't exactly understand all of it.

Edit.

Liam how did you shut your SP3 off? Over the power button? or Shutdown.exe? or over the pull-down on the Charms side? Also how long did it take you before it went back to normal? one night, three nights?

To shut down, I just click the power icon in the top right on Start, and shutdown there.

I can't remember how long it took exactly, but less than a week. I also had a recurring pattern though - my issue was only present every other day. Shutting down seemed to reset that cycle so it never reaches the problem day.

You should look into what this BI device is.