What's new

Surface Pro 3 won't hibernate after connected standby

nipponham

BI is Background Infrastructure and it regulates background tasks for Windows apps. It sounds like you might have a bunch of apps set to display its status on your lock screen. This in itself should not disable hibernate but you should disable background tasks for apps which are not necessary, just in case. I did this and found that it saved a lot of battery drain during CS.

malberttoo

I know the OP's screenshot shows mostly on battery, but just want to remind that the SP3 won't hibernate if it's plugged into power, it will stay in connected standby the whole time it's plugged in.

OP
R

Ryuuji

I let it be on battery over night. So it isn't plugged in. I Don't have any apps on my lock-screen. The only information on my lock-screen is the clock/date , e-mails and appointments of my calender. Should I deactivate them? They where factory configured.

ptrkhh

Do you know how to do the opposite: make it NOT going to hibernate after 4 hours?
My SP3 uses only like 2-3% of battery every 4 hours, so it wouldn't be a problem to lose 4-6% overnight. I have disabled hibernation (powercfg -h off), since mine is the 64 GB model, but sleepstudy only reports 4 hours of connected standby sleep. I don't know where it goes after 4 hours, since hiberfil.sys doesn't even exist!

nipponham

I let it be on battery over night. So it isn't plugged in. I Don't have any apps on my lock-screen. The only information on my lock-screen is the clock/date , e-mails and appointments of my calender. Should I deactivate them? They where factory configured.
Some apps, (like the email one), you would want to work in the background but deactivate whatever apps you don't need to show up on the lock screen. Some apps are set to work in the background as default but for most it's not necessary.

OP
R

Ryuuji

Some apps, (like the email one), you would want to work in the background but deactivate whatever apps you don't need to show up on the lock screen. Some apps are set to work in the background as default but for most it's not necessary.

Where can I see which apps run in the background? Do you mean only Modern Ui Apps or also normal /x32/x64 Windows programs?

cause I have Kaspersky, Lights-Out, One-Drive and Bluetooth devices in the background

nipponham

Go to PC settings>Lock screen and look below the screen images to see a list of apps set to show up on your lock screen. Press the ones you don't need and set to disable.

OP
R

Ryuuji

OK. I know only have the Mail and Calendar App on my Lock-screen, also I will test out Liam2349's shutting down and hope that it works.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Where can I see which apps run in the background? Do you mean only Modern Ui Apps or also normal /x32/x64 Windows programs?

cause I have Kaspersky, Lights-Out, One-Drive and Bluetooth devices in the background
Only MUI Apps can become active in Connected Standby, but the handoff to Hibernate does cause the system to exit Connected Standby to enter into Hibernation and in theory a Win32 can become active and prevent the transition from happening (Antivirus would be what I would investigate).

OP
R

Ryuuji

Than I will have to temporary deactivate kaspersky. But what other Antivirus/spam/fishing could I use that works together with connected standby.

After googling, Kasperksy seems to support Connected standby

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Than I will have to temporary deactivate kaspersky. But what other Antivirus/spam/fishing could I use that works together with connected standby.

After googling, Kasperksy seems to support Connected standby
Yes, but does it fully support the Surface Pro 3? Remember the SP3 uses a modified version of Connected Standby (i.e. it also uses Hibernation). I would also look at anything that installs a Terminated and Stay Resident (TSR) such as your messaging program.

OP
R

Ryuuji

That's right, I didn't think of it, that the SP3 uses a modified Windows and Standby.

I read what TSR's are, but how I see what program is one?

Lights-Out is a program for windows Servers to wake them with WOL and keep the computer running during backups it's not a messaging program, if you meant that with messaging program, else I don't know what you mean with that. I don't have any messengers on my Surface. Only Windows live mail, Steam, Chrome, Office and a few games.