What's new

Surface Pro 4 Issue - FIXED

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recently purchased my first Surface Pro 4 i7 - and it is a BEAST. But once I got all the standard User settings all set up - things started going downhill. For instance - the SURFACE software which allows the user to adjust the Pen sensitivity etc. - It would open up to the Splash Screen and then CRASH - same with clicking the top of the Pen and opening up Note. Once I installed Office 2016 - Note stopped working. Within 15 minutes I had enough and decided it was time to load it up with my copy of Windows 10 Pro.

I used RUFUS to make a bootable copy of Windows 10 Pro, and started the install from within Windows OS. Once I reloaded the machine - the DEVICE MANAGER was of course full of errors - and nothing was working as it should. I then headed over to Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and downloaded all the SP4 drivers, installed and now my SP4 is running perfectly.

If any of you out there are having issues - consider doing a clean install. Once completed - there will be the obligatory WINDOWS.OLD file. Do a search for Inherent File Control and make your account the OWNER of this file and make sure you delete it in order to free up about 40gbs of hard drive space.

I would highly recommend doing a clean install to FIX any issues that are Windows related. Hit me up if you need a guide, or assistance with this process should you decide this is the route for you.

Mike

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man this SP4 i7 is truly a beast of a machine. I am a IT / PC tech with over 25 years in the industry. I do not place a lot of faith in Microsoft - But with MS Windows 10 and this machine - my faith is renewed. If any of you need any assistance or perhaps guidance with your machine - feel free to hit me up. Love to help.

nachonadal85

I'm trying to do the same as you Mike, but with the native reboot option. After that I'll download all the drives from your link, will it work as well? Sorry for my English trying my best.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to do the same as you Mike, but with the native reboot option. After that I'll download all the drives from your link, will it work as well? Sorry for my English trying my best.

If I am understanding you correctly - you are trying to use the normal boot mode to reinstall Windows as opposed to starting the reinstall from within Windows? I would have done that as well, but I was being lazy. Sure thing it will work and after you have reinstalled Windows - just download the following file.....SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.msi - This is an actual install file and will set up all your devices automatically. Once done, go to the MS Store and install Surface for the PEN and of course Note if you want to use the PEN clicking option. Let me know if I can assist in any other manner.

Mike

nachonadal85

If I am understanding you correctly - you are trying to use the normal boot mode to reinstall Windows as opposed to starting the reinstall from within Windows? I would have done that as well, but I was being lazy. Sure thing it will work and after you have reinstalled Windows - just download the following file.....SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.msi - This is an actual install file and will set up all your devices automatically. Once done, go to the MS Store and install Surface for the PEN and of course Note if you want to use the PEN clicking option. Let me know if I can assist in any other manner.

Mike
I didn't understand you correctly, sorry... I'm doing the same, reinstall from within Windows. So, after that what I have to do is run the drivers file, isn't it? And that's all...

Last edited:
OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't understood you correctly, sorry... I'm doing the same, reinstall from within Windows. So, after that what I have to do is run the drivers file, isn't it? And that's all...

Yes - Once reinstalled, Windows will pick up your Wireless drivers and you can head on over to the Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center page and download the MSI file. Once downloaded you can simply click on the file and it will install all of the remaining drivers for your Surface. A simple reboot and your machine will be up and running like its brand new.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once reloaded - please keep in mind that Windows will save all of your old data in a file called "Windows.old" - This will eat up about 40+ GBs of hard drive space. You will want to delete this file - but you may encounter issues since you will need administrator rights or "privileges" to delete this file. If you have issues with deleting this file - please let me know and I will post a link to a file called "Inherent File Control" which will allow you to become the OWNER and delete this large file.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the file for Inherent File Control - if you need explanation - Let me know - but just use the "Advanced" Tab - navigate to the "Windows.old" file and make yourself the owner. Keep in mind it will take quite some time to become the "Owner" of such a large file - so make sure you have about 15 minutes processor dependant to spare.

Link removed per forum guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

nachonadal85

I'm becoming mad!!don't know how to remove the .old folder using NTFS Permissions Tools... I feel like two left hands... Sorry...

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Open the x86 or the 64 file and navigate to the "windows.old" folder. Highlight the folder and then click on ADVANCED - make sure both check boxes in the lower left have check marks in them. Then click on CHANGE OWNER (make sure you mark yourself as the owner of course) - then click APPLY

A box will open and you Click on the upper box "Replace all child object permissions......."

Then comes the wait time I mentioned.....it will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes for you to take complete control of the folder. Once completed - Use the normal file explorer to navigate to the "windows.old" folder and delete the entire thing. Keep in mind - chances are if Windows is using the driver store in this file, you cannot completely delete it. However, based on how you did your install - you may be able to delete the entire thing. If not, you can delete the bulk of it and only 20-30 mbs should be left in the folder.

Hope this helps. If you need further help let me know - I'll do my best

dman27

I recently purchased my first Surface Pro 4 i7 - and it is a BEAST. But once I got all the standard User settings all set up - things started going downhill. For instance - the SURFACE software which allows the user to adjust the Pen sensitivity etc. - It would open up to the Splash Screen and then CRASH - same with clicking the top of the Pen and opening up Note. Once I installed Office 2016 - Note stopped working. Within 15 minutes I had enough and decided it was time to load it up with my copy of Windows 10 Pro.

I used RUFUS to make a bootable copy of Windows 10 Pro, and started the install from within Windows OS. Once I reloaded the machine - the DEVICE MANAGER was of course full of errors - and nothing was working as it should. I then headed over to Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and downloaded all the SP4 drivers, installed and now my SP4 is running perfectly.

If any of you out there are having issues - consider doing a clean install. Once completed - there will be the obligatory WINDOWS.OLD file. Do a search for Inherent File Control and make your account the OWNER of this file and make sure you delete it in order to free up about 40gbs of hard drive space.

I would highly recommend doing a clean install to FIX any issues that are Windows related. Hit me up if you need a guide, or assistance with this process should you decide this is the route for you.

Mike
Perfect if you have a separate copy of Windows 10. Taking mine back today to be replaced.