What's new

Surface pro 4 m3? student

Henki7

hi. Iam a student and was thinking about the new sp4 with m3. I suck at specs so dont Know how good/bad the m3 is.
Do you think its good enough for office and programs like Spotify and programs like that? I have another computer for gaming and do stuff like that.

james_duffin

SP4 sounds ideal. One minor thing to check is if you want to annotate large PDF files. I have some large medical texts as a PDF which I study from and annotate. My (initial regrettable purchase) S3 Atom struggles but my SP3 i5 (then needed second purchase) handles them well. Am hoping that the SP4 m3 handles them as well but haven't seen any review of this yet. Enjoy your surface! They're awesome!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Size and weight do matter but so does performance. If you want the lightest and smaller screen and are ok with middling performance the Surface 3 will work. If you want better performance go with the SP4 even the core m will perform well. (it should be better than the SP3 i3 and near i5 performance although we wont know for sure until somebody tests one). You can get an idea from comparing devices with a Core-M 5y10 to SP3 i3/i5. like the Asus zenbook, Dell venue 11 pro, or Lenovo yoga 3 pro which all have Broadwell Core-M CPUs. The Skylake core m should be a little better than those.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you would rather choose surface 3 than the sp4?

I would rather the sp3 to the s3, and the sp4 to the sp3. My point was that for baud use like office and pdf, it no monster, but the s3 still does the job. If I'm doing research for an essay though, I'll have maybe 20 tabs open, and it is at this point where the s3 doesn't quite cut the mustard. That's when I use my sp3.