What's new

Surface Pro 4 news

BearFlag

According to WinBeta, the Surface Pro 4 will likely come in two screen sizes, the current one and a smaller one:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-reportedly-expected-launch-surface-pro-4-later-year

I know it's all speculation at this point, but I would be very disappointed if this is the case. I think that MS should try to decrease the bezel, and increase the screen size of the current version (much like the new Dell XPS 13) or at least offer a bigger screen size version not a smaller one. There are a ton of Windows tablets with small screens and I'm not sure if there would be a huge demand for a full powered windows machine with a smaller screen.

If MS wants to keep the same screen size, and just put in the next processor (which currently is not significantly better), then what's the point of upgrading to a Surface Pro 4?

mitchellvii

Making smaller bezels is problematic for a device designed as a part time tablet. Where do you put your thumb when you are holding it by the edge?

zhenya

If they can reduce the thickness and weight, then there is plenty of room to reduce the bezels. If they want to get them a lot thinner, they will need to implement a good rejection algorithm as well.

B

B'midbar

If they can reduce the thickness and weight, then there is plenty of room to reduce the bezels. If they want to get them a lot thinner, they will need to implement a good rejection algorithm as well.

MS has already stated the SP4 would be backwards compatible with SP3 accessories, foremost in my mind of which would be the port replicator.

zhenya

I agree that they will likely keep the same form factor but the conversation will become pertinent at some time in the future. I have not seen anything official from MS though - source? We routinely discuss it here and it seems to be all speculation. I have seen nothing concrete at all about the SP4. I'd guess they want to be extremely tight lipped as any rumor has the potential to collapse sales of the existing model.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given that Small tablets are forecast to be the worst selling tablet segment it's hard to imagine introducing a small niche market tablet and at the same time dropping an entry from the large tablet segment which currently shows the most potential.

Canalys expects growth in 2015 to come from tablets with screen sizes larger than 8 inches ...​

–Small tablets: demand has decreased due to “cannibalization” from large-screen smart phones and the intense price competition that has seen margins evaporate, making the segment unattractive to both vendors and channel partners​

Last edited:
B

B'midbar

I agree that they will likely keep the same form factor but the conversation will become pertinent at some time in the future. I have not seen anything official from MS though - source? We routinely discuss it here and it seems to be all speculation. I have seen nothing concrete at all about the SP4. I'd guess they want to be extremely tight lipped as any rumor has the potential to collapse sales of the existing model.

Everything with the exclusion of the above statement is speculative to this point, yes.

dstrauss

Making smaller bezels is problematic for a device designed as a part time tablet. Where do you put your thumb when you are holding it by the edge?

Apple did it with the iPad Air - it's all a question of algorithm adjustment to detect constant pressure vs a mere touch, swipe, or flick.

dajogejr

A few ounces lighter and a couple mm thinner would be the only thing I'd ask for... outside of multiple DPI scaling in Windows 10...:)

I think the screen size is perfect, but it's a little bulky after too much time on the couch.

brice

Make it more powerful, cooler, quieter, a tad lighter and you have a winner. I'm fine with the size of it, just enough screen real estate to do "work". Improve the n-trig precision a little more, bundle a smarter charger (real USB port, and Ethernet on the brick).

macmee

The only 2 bad things about the SP3 from my perspective are:

1. needs better battery / more efficient cpu

2. its a fatty

mitchellvii

One thing is for sure, the SP4 will both surprise and disappoint us. They'll add features no one wants and leave out others everyone uses. It wouldn't be a MS product without at least 2 or 3 WTF moments.