What's new

Surface Pro 4 Release Date - July 2015

GoodBytes

Microsoft always does it's own event for the Surface Pro 4. I expect to be revealed after Windows 10 is released, as Surface Pro always showcased Windows.

fletch33

i know i will be upgrading as i can get my hands on one. i have my 3 sold as soon as 4 gets released.

i just HOPE that my dock still works

maverick777

I don't think there's any real chance the SP4 will be out before August, because I don't think Windows 10 will be ready before then. Also, I think they'd need more time if they intend on using Skylake instead of Broadwell CPU's. If the SP4 comes out with Broadwell, I'll be glad I already have my SP3. I'll wait until SP5 to think of upgrading if that's the case .

I don't mind being proven wrong though and if they manage to get 10 hours of actual battery life and an extra USB port, I'll probably sell the SP3 to upgrade.

B

B'midbar

It will be unveiled at GDC on March 2-6.

Mostly rumor, but some of the information is directly from Microsoft.

I forgot to link the source:
http://www.realtytoday.com/articles...rface-pro-4-release-date-specs-price-1-tb.htm

If I read any of that on the Verge, Anandtech or Tom's Hardware or some such I'd perk up, but those sites I don't even know.

Have already bought my parlay for the SP4 being Core M Broadwell with up to 16GB RAM and 1TB storage in July/August timeframe with upgrade to Windows 10 in October. First part of the parlay is wagering Microsquish doesn't want to miss back to school season.

nipponham

Most of MS's scheduled sessions are about game development using their ecosystem so I would be very surprised if there is a new hardware announcement. Those are usually reserved for E3 or CES. Nevertheless, I'm going to be at GDC so I will keep my eyes open for any news development and will definitely take pics if I see anything interesting.

OP
K

kozak79

Well, in terms of performance, the Core M on paper can do close to current i5 or i7 in the SP3, but using much less power. The current i7 in SP3 uses 15W of power, while the Core M uses 4.5W. I think that when throttling is taken into consideration due to heat, the Core M might outperform the i7.

If the Core M SP4 gives me even the same performance, but longer battery life and less heat (my i7 can cook an egg), than it's reason enough for me to upgrade.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, in terms of performance, the Core M on paper can do close to current i5 or i7 in the SP3, but using much less power. The current i7 in SP3 uses 15W of power, while the Core M uses 4.5W. I think that when throttling is taken into consideration due to heat, the Core M might outperform the i7.

If the Core M SP4 gives me even the same performance, but longer battery life and less heat (my i7 can cook an egg), than it's reason enough for me to upgrade.
To date no Core-M vendor implementation has achieved the performance level Intel demoed on their reference platform. IMO a Core-M model SP4 would be the replacement for the i3 SP3 and that's actually what the part number suggests. i3 was a Y series part Core-M is the replacement for the Y series.

B

B'midbar

To date no Core-M vendor implementation has achieved the performance level Intel demoed on their reference platform. IMO a Core-M model SP4 would be the replacement for the i3 SP3 and that's actually what the part number suggests. i3 was a Y series part Core-M is the replacement for the Y series.

I think if it can even get close and improved battery life that'd be enough to warrant the jump. Bigger LCD with a smaller bezel would sweeten the pot.