What's new

Surface Pro 4 slower than Surface Pro 3?

pmm0724

I installed my SP4 with default Microsoft settings rather than selecting individually like I did on my SP3 . It feels like IE performance is slower as well as other apps. Anyone else see this? I am thinking of exchanging for I7 when it becomes available, so don't want to spend a lot of time with settings unless I could save myself the money of upgrade.

barry.pearson

I've only had it two days but my i5 SP4 feels much snappier at everything than my i5 SP3, and I never had any issues with the SP3's speeds to begin with.

Philtastic

If you got the basic SP4 with the lower end Core m3 CPU, it is very likely to be slower than all versions of the SP3... but also lighter and quieter since it doesn't have any fans.

Edit: Correction after I looked up Geekbench - the SP4 Core m3-6Y30 is faster than the SP3 Core i3-4020Y

Last edited:
OP
P

pmm0724

I have the SP4 I5 and had the SP3 I5. Maybe I should ask my question in a different way. Are there any default settings which should be changed to improve performance?

leeshor

The stock SP4 i5 should easily run all over the stock SP3 i5 without needing to change anything. How large is this performance difference you speak of?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the SP4 I5 and had the SP3 I5. Maybe I should ask my question in a different way. Are there any default settings which should be changed to improve performance?
We need so much more info to figure out anything useful in the way of helping you. Are you running Chrome? What are you using for A/V? What specific performance issues are you seeing? I own both the SP3 and SP4, both are i5/8/256 and I will tell you that the SP4 runs rings around the SP3.

OP
P

pmm0724

3 seconds to load page in IE that used to be instantaneous as an example. Have to touch screen twice before it responds when clicking on hyperlink. Apps load more slowly - again, maybe 3 seconds. I grant these are not big differences, just not what I expected. I still wonder if it is not the express settings. Thanks for understanding that I am not bashing - I love the surface. I'm just trying to decide whether I will be happier with the I7. I don't game or do fancy stuff - surf, FB, outlook.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
3 seconds to load page in IE that used to be instantaneous as an example. Have to touch screen twice before it responds when clicking on hyperlink. Apps load more slowly - again, maybe 3 seconds. I grant these are not big differences, just not what I expected. I still wonder if it is not the express settings. Thanks for understanding that I am not bashing - I love the surface. I'm just trying to decide whether I will be happier with the I7. I don't game or do fancy stuff - surf, FB, outlook.
What plugins do have enabled in IE? Are you using Flash? IE Ad Blocking? We still need to know Antivirus? What version of Office? Have you installed all updates including TH2?

OP
P

pmm0724

Same as SP3 - All updates installed, Defender, RoboForm, AD Blocking, Shockwave
SP3 - Office 2013, Custom MS setup options
Sp4 - Office 365, Express MS setup options
Not sure what TH2 means.

raqball

If you got the basic SP4 with the lower end Core m3 CPU, it is very likely to be slower than all versions of the SP3... but also lighter and quieter since it doesn't have any fans.

Edit: Correction after I looked up Geekbench - the SP4 Core m3-6Y30 is faster than the SP3 Core i3-4020Y

Yes my SP4 core M is much faster and snappier than my SP3 i3 was..