What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

CrippsCorner

Hi Jamine what country are you from? I've heard before that purple isn't available in America, but strangely in the UK, it is!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/accessories/surface-3-type-cover

1a02ba0f-d148-41dd-b4ff-7ef452c57fff.png

Pedrom

After reading a few of these pages, I figured I'd join in. Some of the suggestions I seriously hope do not get included in the SP4. Some are great.

-Don't make it thinner. It's thin enough! If it's possible to make it thinner, then just use the space to increase the battery size/better cooling? Being lighter is always welcome however.
-Would be happy to have the new USB-C, but only as an addition to standard 'old' USB. Apple got that wrong, for sure.
-Include a lock for the kickstand. Get's a little annoying when it slips away while drawing.
-If possible, re-engineer kickstand to work in portrait mode too. Not major though.
-Perhaps higher end models could have a discrete GPU option?
-Don't make the pen smaller and don't attach it in silo. Leave that for the non-Pro version. The loop serves it's purpose well. Could look nicer though (see how wacom integrates their loop into the frame of the Bamboo). The pen feels great as is. Maybe improve the lower buttons. They sometimes get stuck down in the frame.
-Don't add 4G (at least not as standard).
-Don't change aspect ratio/add more pixels to the screen. It's perfect as it is.
-Not sure if this should come under OS more, but it's flippin' annoying when it goes to sleep while playing Spotify/whatever. Make it a little more sensitive to what it's doing before sleeping!
-Be rid of the i3 version. You've got the Atom Surface's for the low end. Keep 'Pro' pro. There will be too many options which is confusing to the average consumer.
-Make 128GB minimum.
-Improve both cameras. I don't care about pictures, but it's a little embarrassing to appear on video conferences all grainy. It's not a good look. I was shocked at how bad the SP3 cameras were. In this day and age...really?!
-Also, make the front camera angle adjustable somehow? I find it hard to get framed and have the screen at a good angle on some surfaces i.e. on my lap.
-Windows Hello (I suppose)
-Make it an option to increase graphics performance at the sacrifice of battery life, let alone when it's plugged in! I can't stand the banding!! (This should happen for the SP3 too)
-Keep it classy

That's all in my long and humble opinion...but I'm right ;)

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Not a bad list there fella! Welcome to the boards btw... just one thing, if you're referring to the Surface 3 for the Core M; it's not, it's an Atom processor.

AlexLeather

Our large company didn't buy Surface because:
- no LAN ports
- only one USB
Please add Gigabit Ethernet LAN port (would be nice to make chargable PoE) (no adapters)
Add more USB ports (USB 3.0 as well as USB 3.1)
then you get our money :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our large company didn't buy Surface because:
- no LAN ports
- only one USB
Please add Gigabit Ethernet LAN port (would be nice to make chargable PoE)
Add more USB ports (USB 3.0 as well as USB 3.1)
then you get our money :)

Considering that an ethernet port is bigger than the depth of the sp3, and the sp4 will be of the same dimensions, that's going to be pretty hard to achieve. And while your company may not have bought it for this reason, i doubt there are many people at all who care for an ethernoet port on their surface. If it is really that important, it most likely means it is an office environment, in which case why wouldn't you be using a dock to make the sp3 as functional as possible, and in which instance, it resolves every issue you've mentioned. If you need ethernet and multiple usb for just out and about mobility, then it probably isn't the right device for your company in the first place.

AlexLeather

Considering that an ethernet port is bigger than the depth of the sp3, and the sp4 will be of the same dimensions, that's going to be pretty hard to achieve. And while your company may not have bought it for this reason, i doubt there are many people at all who care for an ethernoet port on their surface. If it is really that important, it most likely means it is an office environment, in which case why wouldn't you be using a dock to make the sp3 as functional as possible, and in which instance, it resolves every issue you've mentioned. If you need ethernet and multiple usb for just out and about mobility, then it probably isn't the right device for your company in the first place.
Yes its 8mm wide, simply do what everyone does- create a thicker bubble where the adapter sitting while the rest is thinner.
Wi-Fi is not always fast and reliable/accessible

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes its 8mm wide, simply do what everyone does- create a thicker bubble where the adapter sitting while the rest is sinner

sp4 has been stated to be compatible with existing accessories. E.g the dock. The sp4 will not have ethernet as it doesn't fit. That is why they sell a usb ethernet adaptor, and a dock.

And no chance in hell i'd want it if it had a bubble on the back like all of these stupid new phones. In this instance, for no other reason than that unless the back of the device is flush, that's going to make a pretty sh**** tablet and inking experience as it wobbles all over the table as you apply any pressure.

Remember, this is designed foremost to be a mobile device. The typical use case for such a device does not include ethernet. If you want to use it as a desktop replacement as well as a mobile device, then the dock exists to make it the most usable desktop machine it can be. With ethernet, usb, displayport etc.

what is that dockingstation from? Surface 4?

Looks like the regular SP3 dock to me.

AlexLeather

If you want to use it as a desktop replacement as well as a mobile device, then the dock exists to make it the most usable desktop machine it can be. With ethernet, usb, displayport etc.
Thank you, this makes sense to use dock. Microsoft shoud mention this dock in specification otherwise other customers may not buy
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/surface-pro-3-specs
In fact I spoke to Microsoft sales last year regarding Surface 3 and they suggested only USB adapters with USB hub, if you look at them together -looks ugly.

Last edited: