What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

silkrooster

Yeah I saw those chargers, that's what gave me the idea. I wonder how long it would take to charge a battery as large as the one in the surface. Interesting thought though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Lumia 1520 has a 35WH Battery and it can handle charging that so we will see....

DutchYee

You want broadwell and Nvidia graphics. U know that the broadwell processors not perform better than the Haswell ones!? Broadwell is made for battery life. :)

Haswell with nvidia is awesome!

ptrkhh

You want broadwell and Nvidia graphics. U know that the broadwell processors not perform better than the Haswell ones!? Broadwell is made for battery life. :)

Haswell with nvidia is awesome!
Less battery consumption -> less power -> less heat -> more cooling capacity for more powerful GPU!

I actually have thought about a SP3 with fanless Core M combined with 15W NVIDIA GPU. Since the CPU needs no fan, the fan can be used to cool down a 15W GPU!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Less battery consumption -> less power -> less heat -> more cooling capacity for more powerful GPU!

I actually have thought about a SP3 with fanless Core M combined with 15W NVIDIA GPU. Since the CPU needs no fan, the fan can be used to cool down a 15W GPU!
I think the idea behind the rumor of using the Xeon CPU was to separate the heat of the CPU & GPU as it is CPU/GPU temp is nearly identical regardless of what the workload is. if components are updated with physically smaller memory, ssd, there is probably room for both even with two fans. Id change the orientation also with the battery across the bottom and the board across the top then separate the CPU & GPU maybe 4 inches or more so heat from one doesn't affect the other so much. we haven't seen anyone get the performance out of a Core-M yet that Intel did but a U series would work also. Battery life would be tough to hold steady much less improve with this though.

ptrkhh

I think the idea behind the rumor of using the Xeon CPU was to separate the heat of the CPU & GPU as it is CPU/GPU temp is nearly identical regardless of what the workload is. if components are updated with physically smaller memory, ssd, there is probably room for both even with two fans. Id change the orientation also with the battery across the bottom and the board across the top then separate the CPU & GPU maybe 4 inches or more so heat from one doesn't affect the other so much. we haven't seen anyone get the performance out of a Core-M yet that Intel did but a U series would work also. Battery life would be tough to hold steady much less improve with this though.
I don't think using Xeon CPU would be more efficient in term of power consumption.

The benefit of hybrid graphics like NVIDIA Optimus is that you can have the dGPU off to save battery life when you use it for light tasks like browsing. The dGPU is active only when you have GPU-intensive programs running. If there was no iGPU, the dGPU would have to run all the time.

With this concept, we don't need a powerful iGPU since we only use it only for light tasks, but its still critical for power efficiency.

And since the iGPU isn't used for heavy workloads, it would produce practically no heat anyway.

silkrooster

I realize a lot has changed over the years since GPU's started being used. But I thought that was the purpose of the GPU is to offload commands from the CPU to reduce its load. When the software does not require the GPU, it is not being used other than the requirements of the video card.
Now it sounds like they went too far and are off loading majority of the CPU load to the GPU.
It would be nice if they would make up their mind.

DutchYee

If you got that situation. Defently you got an bottleneck ;)

silkrooster

A flash for both cameras capable of staying lit for video and other uses. LED's are quite cheap now. If a phone can afford it? (more rhetorical than a question)

dave1

With the rife rumors and speculations about SP4 (and none of which is denied or confirmed by Microsoft) , I thought it would be useful to know and share what SP3 owners, as well as those on the fence as to whether to get SP3 or wait for SP4, have on their wish-list for improvements/new features to SP3.

Can you indicate your wishlist in order of importance, of course, most important one being first. Here is my wish-list as an example.

- At least one additional USB 3.0 port
- Mobile wireless (LTE) for connection anywhere (that is, for use of cellular where WiFi is not available)
- Fanless design as rumors suggest

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
USB 3.1 (doubles speed to 10gbps) with reversible Type C connector. Two would be icing on the cake.
Three CPU configurations one Core-M fanless the others with U series and fan(s) for high performance.
Improved thermal design - heat dissipation, higher %copper alloy case.
Two sizes: 12.1 3:2 aspect ratio and 10.6ish (10.1 - 11.1) 3:2 ratio.
Officially include Thunderbolt 2/3 (best available) in the dock connector backwards compatible with old dock.
DisplayPort interfaces upgraded to DP 1.3 spec.
PCIe SSD
Two point fingerprint screen scan, i.e. scan two fingers or use two of four/five from the touchscreen for ID.
Sensor array/more sensors gps, infrared, 3D imaging/scanning,
HPU/SPU/DSP Holographic Processing Unit, Sensor Processing Unit, Digital Signal Processor.
Option for HPC with X1 coprocessor.
Better cameras with DSP and full featured app support (I used to dismiss this but as an all in one business solution for Insurance adjusters, estimators, architects, engineering across multiple industries etc. its critical)
WiGig
4k 60hz support.
Thinner
Lighter

:)

Probe that plugs into an apple (fruit) and generates power for emergencies. :D