What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

garyR

I was thinking more in terms of a USB mains adaptor rather than a USB lead. I am happy with the mag connector, but object to carrying around yet another mains adaptor.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking more in terms of a USB mains adaptor rather than a USB lead. I am happy with the mag connector, but object to carrying around yet another mains adaptor.

But a usb wall plug simply cannot put out the power required by the pro line. Why all 3rd party charging cables designed to work with power bricks require a DC connector, and not simply a usb connector at the other end.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read in this article that the Surface Pro 5 will be released in October: Microsoft Surface Pro 5 To Launch In Microsoft's October Event To Compete Directly With Samsung Galaxy Book [VIDEO]

I don't know if this news source is reliable but if true, a lot of people are going to be waiting longer to get at the SP5.
Perhaps they might wait till the 10nm Cannonlake chips ship, that would make for a more significant upgrade... hopefully Intel will actually ship it in time and it will work and not have all kinds of nasty stability problems like Skylake did.

Exhile

Perhaps they might wait till the 10nm Cannonlake chips ship, that would make for a more significant upgrade... hopefully Intel will actually ship it in time and it will work and not have all kinds of nasty stability problems like Skylake did.
The article says that Microsoft might use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 635 chipset instead of Intel's KabyLake or CannonLake.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The article says that Microsoft might use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 635 chipset instead of Intel's KabyLake or CannonLake.
Well in this day and age, you can't believe everything you read. :)
They might use the Snapdragon 835 for a Surface 4 non Pro. I seriously doubt they would use it even for a low end Surface Pro model.

Exhile

Well in this day and age, you can't believe everything you read. :)
They might use the Snapdragon 835 for a Surface 4 non Pro. I seriously doubt they would use it even for a low end Surface Pro model.
That's why I was questioning the reliability of the article in the first place. It doesn't seem like Microsoft to not use an Intel processor for their Surface or Surface Pro products.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
PC Advisor also claimed it would release with an AMD Ryzen chip... even though the lowest TDP Ryzen is reportedly 65W so that's not happening. It looks like they are just reporting everything whether possible or not on the off chance something might eventually be right or a least not wrong enough to be dismissed. Too bad they cant rule out the impossible ones from their smorgasbord of click bait, they might retain some semblance of respect. Alas, that ship has sailed.

Sounds like something Prez Trump does. Report whatever comes to mind and hope it's correct. lol.

PC Advisor... It looks like they are just reporting everything whether possible or not on the off chance something might eventually be right or a least not wrong enough to be dismissed.

btw, wasn't there something about a "new" Surfacebook? Not a 2&1. Something to keep cost down? So think of it like a laptop made by MS.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
btw, wasn't there something about a "new" Surfacebook? Not a 2&1. Something to keep cost down? So think of it like a laptop made by MS.
There's a report of a clamshell design (read traditional laptop) starting at $1000 and up. Salt lightly. ;)