What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

It would have to be really good. So many laptops out now that are compatible with games and is small to begin with. I know it's supposed to be a low end model but I don't think it'll work well.

There's a report of a clamshell design (read traditional laptop) starting at $1000 and up. Salt lightly. ;)

cj3209

Just started using the SP4 and what I would want is increased overall usability. This thing, hands down, makes me more productive than my old iPad Pro but it has some glitches: my SD card isn't seen consistently, sometimes everything hangs for a few seconds, face recognition doesn't consistently work, etc. The iPad Pro had very few glitches.

What Microsoft needs to do is to increase QC to apple's level and monitor the manufacturing process like apple does. In general, I see more QC issues with SP than iPads in the forums.

The new stuff is fine but what the SP really needs is a consistent and productive machine that can get work done.

BTW, I really really like my SP4. :)

my 2 cents...
:)

ScottyS

o_Oo_O
Just started using the SP4 and what I would want is increased overall usability. This thing, hands down, makes me more productive than my old iPad Pro but it has some glitches: my SD card isn't seen consistently, sometimes everything hangs for a few seconds, face recognition doesn't consistently work, etc. The iPad Pro had very few glitches.

What Microsoft needs to do is to increase QC to apple's level and monitor the manufacturing process like apple does. In general, I see more QC issues with SP than iPads in the forums.

The new stuff is fine but what the SP really needs is a consistent and productive machine that can get work done.

BTW, I really really like my SP4. :)

my 2 cents...
:)
Glad you like your SP4. I'm still loving and using daily my SP3 as I wait patiently for the SP5.
Your observations are very true and have been since the original Macintosh and Windows 3.1, with the caveat that Microsoft has gotten better at features of the OS and top notch hardware. I believe the "bugs" have always boiled down to this: Apple has always been a more closed system, controlling what you can or can't do. Even more so in the old days, if you wanted to attach a printer you had to buy an Apple printer. Now of course you can plug many things into a Mac, but iPad is a whole 'nother device. You can't plug in multiple hard drives, monitors, scanners, game controllers etc., etc., etc.
Though I agree, where Microsoft controls the hardware (ie: Surface) and OS, they should do a better job and have is a rock solid device.
Hopefully they will be closer to that dream with the SP5 (Nah,o_O).

I am still using my Surface 2 and am really interested in what the SP5 or S5, hoping there is a non-pro version, will bring to the table. I love my S2 and will hold on to it for as long as it works.

Hoping the wait for a new Surface won't be too long.

kristalsoldier

If I had not had to replace my SP3 with the SP4 (almost a year that I have had it) that I am currently using (the screen was yellowing fast on the SP3 and I have had it since the day it was released in North America/ Canada), I would have most certainly opted for the SP5. But from what I have read, the improvements over the SP4 would at best be marginal with probably battery life, bezels and USB C being the main improvements. To me these are important but I can wait for the SP6 (or whatever it is called at that point).