What's new

Surface Pro 6 restarts with 75% battery level

madamjasmine

Hi all,

I purchased a brand new Surface Pro 6 i7 1TB July 6th 2019 at a local Microsoft Store. A week later I had to have it replaced due to a factory defect with the screen.

After a week of having the replacement unit I started to notice something odd about it. In the morning when I turn it off with 100% battery level then head to work, by the time I get to my desk 45 to 55 minutes later and turn it on I only see 75% battery.

I've also observed that when it shows 100% battery then I unplug it and step away for 30 minutes then return and turn it on unplugged it shows 75% battery.

I've tried a number of troubleshooting steps and the issue is still present. Anyone have any idea what this issue might be?

SteelSteve

Not sure what you've tried already. The main thing I see people suggest when battery issues are involved is to try draining the battery completely and then charge it back to 100% and see if that helps. Otherwise I would contact Microsoft or take to the Microsoft store and have them look at it / fix / replace the unit.

Plantje

I noticed the battery levels are quite weird. They're not being updated fast. Same as the status if the device is plugged in. Wouldn't bother too much...
I purchased a brand new Surface Pro 6 i7 1TB July 6th 2019 at a local Microsoft Store. A week later I had to have it replaced due to a factory defect with the screen.
May I ask what the factory defect with the screen was?

I noticed the battery levels are quite weird. They're not being updated fast. Same as the status if the device is plugged in. Wouldn't bother too much...

Edi Wang

Hi madamjasmine, I met the exact same issue with my Surface Pro 6 recently. When you charge the device to 100% and shut down the machine. It doesn't matter how long you leave it, next time when you turn on the device, the battery will always be 75%, even I just leave it shut down for one minute. At first, I guess it may be one of the four batteries in the device went wrong, but after I saw your thread, I think it may be a firmware or Windows update issue.

tuchas

I just got another Surface Pro 6. The previous one was fried and I hadn't had a chance to go to MS for a replacement for a long time. After updates I had the same issue - charge to 100%, shut down, next morning it was at 75%. Then I shut off connected standby, and voila - upon boot up I was at 100%. Highly recommended that you turn off connected standby.

Plantje

I think especially in the reporting of the battery level something is wrong. Is this all on Windows 10 1903?

Turbo4AWD

I found the fix for this. It is a registry setting for Windows connected Standby. You can see how to turn it off here:
Disabling Windows Connected Standby

I tested this issue as people have described it and have not witnessed an issue. Maybe it's the Core i7 version that has the issue. My Core i5 Surface Pro 6 does NOT have this problem and usually powers back up with at LEAST 96% or more battery life HOURS after being fully charged. Connected Standy is ON on my machine and this has yet to affect my Surface Pro 6.

Hopefully the issue can be narrowed down to exactly which models are affected by this bug.

tuchas

I tested this issue as people have described it and have not witnessed an issue. Maybe it's the Core i7 version that has the issue. My Core i5 Surface Pro 6 does NOT have this problem and usually powers back up with at LEAST 96% or more battery life HOURS after being fully charged. Connected Standy is ON on my machine and this has yet to affect my Surface Pro 6.

Hopefully the issue can be narrowed down to exactly which models are affected by this bug.

I have the i5 and this issue is getting problematic for me. I could shutdown at 100% then upon reboot a few hours later it’s already down to 90%. Connected standby OFF. Somethings amiss here.

joeblow7777

This seems to be an increasingly common problem. Here's everything I know about it so far:

- It seems to mainly affect Surface Pro 6 and Surface Laptop 2 units, ever since an August firmware update.
- The problem is almost certainly software/firmware based. I don't believe there's anything physically wrong with your device or its battery.
- It does not seem to matter how long the device is shut off for. I originally thought it was a gradual power loss over night. I've since observed that I can take my Laptop at 100% charge, shut it down and unplug it, and turn it back on 10 minutes later or 8 hours later, and either way it starts with around 75%.
- This behaviour doesn't occur if the device is shutdown with less than 100%. For instance, I can shut it off with 96% change and 8 hours later it starts with 96%. But if I shutdown with a full 100% it will start with about 75%.
- Microsoft can/will currently do nothing to fix this. Those who have taken devices in to MS Stores have simply gotten refurbished replacements which exhibit the same behaviour. Extensive conversations with MS Support via Twitter just took me through a series of troubleshooting measures that did not help.

- The only thing I and others have been consistently told is to report this issue using the Windows Feedback Hub App. Make sure that you do so, and also find others who have this issue in the hub and upvote their reports. That's the only way this gets actual attention from MS. See my links below:

Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

Turbo4AWD

I'm going to try again tonight. I will actually shutdown the computer with 100% charge and then boot up in the morning and see what my battery level is at. I currently STILL have Connected Standby ON in the registry settings. I will report back tomorrow morning with the result