Surface Pro 6 restarts with 75% battery level

Discussion in 'Surface Pro 6' started by madamjasmine, Aug 14, 2019.

1. madamjasmine

madamjasmine New Member

My Device:
    Other
    Hi all,

I purchased a brand new Surface Pro 6 i7 1TB July 6th 2019 at a local Microsoft Store. A week later I had to have it replaced due to a factory defect with the screen.

After a week of having the replacement unit I started to notice something odd about it. In the morning when I turn it off with 100% battery level then head to work, by the time I get to my desk 45 to 55 minutes later and turn it on I only see 75% battery.

I've also observed that when it shows 100% battery then I unplug it and step away for 30 minutes then return and turn it on unplugged it shows 75% battery.

I've tried a number of troubleshooting steps and the issue is still present. Anyone have any idea what this issue might be?

2. SteelSteve

SteelSteve New Member

Not sure what you've tried already. The main thing I see people suggest when battery issues are involved is to try draining the battery completely and then charge it back to 100% and see if that helps. Otherwise I would contact Microsoft or take to the Microsoft store and have them look at it / fix / replace the unit.

3. Plantje

Plantje Active Member

My Device:
    SPro
    I noticed the battery levels are quite weird. They're not being updated fast. Same as the status if the device is plugged in. Wouldn't bother too much...
    May I ask what the factory defect with the screen was?

I noticed the battery levels are quite weird. They're not being updated fast. Same as the status if the device is plugged in. Wouldn't bother too much...

4. Edi Wang

Edi Wang New Member

My Device:
    Other
    Hi madamjasmine, I met the exact same issue with my Surface Pro 6 recently. When you charge the device to 100% and shut down the machine. It doesn't matter how long you leave it, next time when you turn on the device, the battery will always be 75%, even I just leave it shut down for one minute. At first, I guess it may be one of the four batteries in the device went wrong, but after I saw your thread, I think it may be a firmware or Windows update issue.

5. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
  6. Stoneguard

Stoneguard New Member

My Device:
    Other
  7. tuchas

tuchas Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I just got another Surface Pro 6. The previous one was fried and I hadn't had a chance to go to MS for a replacement for a long time. After updates I had the same issue - charge to 100%, shut down, next morning it was at 75%. Then I shut off connected standby, and voila - upon boot up I was at 100%. Highly recommended that you turn off connected standby.