Surface Pro and RT WI-FI Will Not Work With My U-Verse

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by QOAM, Mar 1, 2013.

1. QOAM

QOAM New Member

I can connect my: Lumia 920, iPad, Mini iPad, Samsung Slate w/ Windows 8 and other gadgets to my U-verse but cannot connect my Surface Pro without turning off the encryption .... I had the Surface RT for one day and had the same problem. Is there a fix? I spent hours working on this .... The problem is not the router, not Windows 8 .... The problem is for sure these Microsoft tablets. Any suggestions? Diane

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    What encryption are you running? It probably is something in your setup since I am connected to a uverse 2wire router without issue (wpa & wpa2).

3. Garyjk

Garyjk Member

it's really hard to say not knowing much about your router. i connect using wireless n with wpa2-personal, aes encryption to connect to my cisco ea4500 router.
    which protocol are you using? if using n, make sure wmm support is enabled in the qos settings.
    post as much information about the router as you can, maybe someone actually has the same one as you do.

4. polbit

polbit Member

My Device:
    Other
    I have the same setup, and both my ex-RT and now my Pro work fine without a single disconnect/issue, using WPA2.

5. QOAM

QOAM New Member

i will gather all information and come back here. i am using wpa2 and aes .. my settings seem to be the same on my samsung as the surface .. one connects, the other says 'cannot connect.' dont know what wmm is ???

6. QOAM

QOAM New Member

you can configure your router, but I don't think anything can be configured in our Motorola NVG510.

7. QOAM

QOAM New Member

I spent hours on the phone with AT&T and Microsoft on Saturday. There aren't many adjustments I can make to my U-Verse Router .. When I turn on my soon to be EX surface I can see my network. I click on it, it asks for my password and when I click ok, it says "cannot connect." I have tried WPA1-PERSONAL and WPA Personal w/ AES (I think those were the settings) You have the 2-wire router, I don't... In our area I have to use MOTOROLA NVG510 ... I don't know if I can use or get the one you have .. When I am trying to connect if I am logged into my router and turn off ALL encryption I connect in under one second.

8. Sin

Sin New Member

My Device:
    RT
    Seems like it the router part of the device that is problematic in it's lack of settings. Couldn't you keep the modem and connect it to a new wireless access point to gain better control of your WiFi network while still using the U-Verse modem?