What's new

Surface Pro as a desktop replacmenet

zokstar

Has anyone else gone down this path and replaced their desktop with a SP + dock etc?

Im looking at doing this in the near future, just would like to hear other peoples experiences

Thanks

macmee

I'm not a fan of the Surface Pro 3 as a replacement for my Surface Pro 2 because the Surface Pro 3 is too big for my taste.

Having said that, I have to investigate some more but the SP3 might be faster than my 2010 iMac with an i5 quad core, and if that's the case then I might buy it to replace my MacBook, iMac and Surface Pro 2 (although grudgingly for the latter).

I'm not sure how this will work out. Any serious work or gaming on the Surface results in immense heat, my SP2 has gotten up to 60C which suggests to me that a SP3 as a desktop replacement might end very badly under heavily daily use. The SP3 is supposed to run cooler than the SP2 (I think), but I don't know if this will make enough of a difference to matter.

Edit: apparently my iMac from 2010 outshines the SP3 so I might not buy it now, not unless OS X runs well on it anyway: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/98/Intel_Core_i5_i5-760_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4650U.html

tldr; under heavy use the Surface heats up quite a lot, if you're uncomfortable with that don't use it as a desktop replacement.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I'm not a fan of the Surface Pro 3 as a replacement for my Surface Pro 2 because the Surface Pro 3 is too big for my taste.

Having said that, I have to investigate some more but the SP3 might be faster than my 2010 iMac with an i5 quad core, and if that's the case then I might buy it to replace my MacBook, iMac and Surface Pro 2 (although grudgingly for the latter).

I'm not sure how this will work out. Any serious work or gaming on the Surface results in immense heat, my SP2 has gotten up to 60C which suggests to me that a SP3 as a desktop replacement might end very badly under heavily daily use. The SP3 is supposed to run cooler than the SP2 (I think), but I don't know if this will make enough of a difference to matter.

Edit: apparently my iMac from 2010 outshines the SP3 so I might not buy it now, not unless OS X runs well on it anyway: Intel Core i5-760 vs i7-4650U

tldr; under heavy use the Surface heats up quite a lot, if you're uncomfortable with that don't use it as a desktop replacement.

Can you expand on this a bit more? What constitutes "heavy use" in your scenario? I ask because if there is one thing that I am concerned about it is this - the heat issue (well, aside from the battery life, that is).

CrippsCorner

Hello I've been using my Surface Pro as a desktop replacement for just over a year now. I haven't seen any issues, nothing, zilch :)

As for heat, I haven't witnessed much, especially as you won't be holding it. The only times I've ever seen the fans come on is usage of multiple HD videos (such as on YouTube) and installing updates... oh and for some strange reason when the screen savers run, but I turned those off now. I've watched TV, done VJing and had 4-5 programs open at a time and haven't experienced any overheating issues.

I never went for the dock in the end, no need for me. I only have the Mini DisplayPort and power plugged in... everything else is wireless so didn't see the need! I bought the Type Cover and wasn't sure if it was going to be my daily driver, but it soon become it, it's a great keyboard and I've never felt the need for a bigger one.

macmee

Can you expand on this a bit more? What constitutes "heavy use" in your scenario? I ask because if there is one thing that I am concerned about it is this - the heat issue (well, aside from the battery life, that is).

You can do lots of activities without excessive heat. I never notice heat when using OneNote, Email, Office, Internet Browsing. It will heat up if you're a gamer, if you stream HD video, or if you do heavy lifting like write software on the device that requires heavy lifting.
When I say heat by the way, I mean 37C+. I'm told it's not terrible and that the device can go up to 100C before being dangerous (it's REALLY hard to get these to hit 100C, don't worry about that). The only negative about the heat that I'm aware of is that it makes your battery wear out quicker, but if you sell your device and buy a new one every year/two then this wont be an issue.

If you're at all concerned about the device heating up, I suggest waiting and buying a Surface Pro 3. They're slightly larger and have a more power efficient CPU. They'll heat up too but not as much.

mohcho

I replaced my work laptop with an SP2. It was great and it was faster than my Core i5 Dell laptop and the battery life was immensely greater.

I returned the SP2 and am waiting for the SP3 and I can't wait.

carp969

I replaced one of my three work laptops with the SP1 and it's worked great for me. If I could replace the other two with SPs I'd truly be happy. Unfortunately the blinkered world of corporates don't allow me to.

Mine is linked to a external non-widesreen monitor via dvi-minidp cable and a usb3 hub. Being in the UK means no docking station.

Last edited:

daniielrp

Mine is linked to a external non-widesreen monitor via dvi-minidp cable and a usb3 hub. Being in the UK means no docking station.

Similar use for me when using at my desk:

- MiniDP to DVI to my 19" monitor.
- Audio jack to the monitor (though I'm going to get a adaptor that combine this with the DVI above two into one cable).
- Surface Arc Touch Mouse

Like above, no dock as in the UK, but seeing as (when set up properly) the only cables will be power and miniDP, I'm not that fussed really.

macmee

does the UK just not get to have docking?

Microsoft really needs to work on its distribution better. Also half assed in Canada.

Nuspieds

The last time I owned a desktop was somewhere back in the 1800s! Since then, though, I've owned only laptops. :D

However, said laptops were always purchased with a docking station because I needed the additional ports/capabilities provided by a docking station. I purchased the SP1 to replace such a laptop configuration (ThinkPad W700) and the USB hub became the equivalent of a docking station.

The SP2 has since replaced my SP1 and both machines (along with the USB hub) were a completely successful replacement of my laptop. As a matter of fact, the Surface (SP1 or SP2) has provided me more benefits and features than my ThinkPad in that now I also have portable Tablet device, not just a laptop equivalent.

But I'm not keen on the SP3, though. I like its design and all, but I prefer to stick with my SP2 and wait for that true next generation Surface with a new CPU/GPU.

carp969

does the UK just not get to have docking?

Microsoft really needs to work on its distribution better. Also half assed in Canada.

From what I can tell on the USA get the full quota of Surface accessories. I've never found the power cover with a UK keyboard layout.

I of course blame the USA for having a daft keyboard layout with no £ key.