What's new

Surface Pro for media consumption - any good tips, reviews?

convergent

I just got a Surface Pro 4 and am quite happy with it as a laptop replacement, but want to learn more about how people are using them as tablet, analogous to an iPad. I've downloaded some media apps from the Microsoft App Store, and so far so good. But I'd like to learn some tips and techniques for getting the most out of that experience. I realize it won't be as polished as an iPad in this area since the platform is not nearly as widely supported with apps, but just want to hear from folks that are using the SP this way. What apps are you using and like the most, and how are you using them.

MickeyLittle

Best I can tell, VLC desktop version is the way to go for playing videos. But it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. My biggest issue is that I sit down to watch a 2 hour movie that I've ripped to a thumb drive, micro SD, or even drive C and watch about 30 - 40 minutes and decide I'm done until tomorrow. Well when I pick it up tomorrow it starts over from the beginning!

So VLC desktop asks you if you want to resume or start over so problem solved. Now my only problem is that the user interface is really tiny on my Surface Book. It is really hard for me to see, much less click on the pause, play, forward, rewind, etc.

So I am just using the stock movie player and One Note to quickly jot down the starting time spot and movie name so I'll know where to pick up the next time I go to watch the movie.

OP
convergent

convergent

Thanks for that, I'll have to take a look at it. Haven't used it in years. Do you know if the Netflix app on SP4 allows downloading of content?

Also as an FYI, when I said media consumption I was meaning that more broadly... as in the kinds of stuff people typically use an iPad for like books, magazines, movies, TV, games, ... anything other than "work".

MickeyLittle

Yes the Netflix app does have the download function. Sorry I only covered 1 aspect of the media consumption area but movies are about the limit for me as I don't play games or read magazines. As for books the Kindle app is pretty good but not quite as fluid as on Android or IOS in my opinion.

If you are into gaming checkout the Xbox app that should be preinstalled on your SP4.

Sketch (6).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use Texture for magazines, Groove and Pandora for Music, Netflix and Hulu as well as the TV and Film for movies. I use Kindle and PDF Annotator for eBooks....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zero apps. The whole reason I use mine over android or iOS is that it gives me full blown applications and a full blown brower. Never found a need for apps like i did on androud where I was reliant on them in order to have a usable device :)

OP
convergent

convergent

Yes the Netflix app does have the download function. Sorry I only covered 1 aspect of the media consumption area but movies are about the limit for me as I don't play games or read magazines. As for books the Kindle app is pretty good but not quite as fluid as on Android or IOS in my opinion.

If you are into gaming checkout the Xbox app that should be preinstalled on your SP4.

I just tried the Netflix app and did a download and it worked very well. Great quality. Also played with Hulu a bit. Worked well even though the reviews on that one are terrible. How about Amazon... don't see an app for it so assuming I have to do Amazon videos in a browser.

I use Texture for magazines, Groove and Pandora for Music, Netflix and Hulu as well as the TV and Film for movies. I use Kindle and PDF Annotator for eBooks....
How is Texture? The reviews for it were terrible in the Msft App store. I did download some of the news apps like USA Today, Engadget... all seemed to work well. I am assuming that Texture lets you download a magazine for a trip on a plane?

Zero apps. The whole reason I use mine over android or iOS is that it gives me full blown applications and a full blown brower. Never found a need for apps like i did on androud where I was reliant on them in order to have a usable device :)
That's a great point, but sometimes when working without a keyboard using just the browser can be a little challenging, and no way to easily get content downloaded for later review.

I did find this video on using tablet mode that helped me understand a lot better how to work in tablet mode so getting a better handle on that.
Windows 10: The tablet experience is better than ever (with video) | On MSFT

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How is Texture? The reviews for it were terrible in the Msft App store. I did download some of the news apps like USA Today, Engadget... all seemed to work well. I am assuming that Texture lets you download a magazine for a trip on a plane?

Yep - I have the $14/month subscription and read 10-12 magazines a month