What's new

Surface Pro Gaming (Videos Inside)

Vivz

Hello Everybody !

Yesterday I recieved my Surface Pro, after some updates (and Windows 8.1 update too), settings .. I started using it and trying different things to see it's performances,

I'm actually trying different games and decided to film it to share my tests with everybody,

First i'm sorry because I only have my old iPhone 4 to film it, so excuse me for the poor quality,

Obviously I'm trying games that I didn't find video on youtube on surface Pro,

So I've uploaded my first 11 videos ,

You'll find :

3D Mark Test : Mobile Device and Notebook Bench
Trackmania Nations Benchmark with 4 different settings (Minimum, Low , Medium , High)
Flat Out Ultimate Carnage (Ahaha that game is insane, I love it) Race and High Jump Mode
ePSXe (PS1 Emulator) Running Final Fantasy 9 (config inside)
PPSSPP (PSP Emulator) Running Wipeout Pure
PCSX2 (PS2 Emulator) Running Final Fantasy 10 (config inside)

All these games ran very smoothly and playable; on emulators, everything was fine except some random freezes probably due to slow accces time of my SD Card.

Yes, cause I run all of my games from Micro SD Card (Samsung UHS-1 Class 10 32go).

One exception, on PCSX2 I had to install all stuff on SSD because of FAT 32 system on my Micro SD which refuses my FF10 iso (too big)

Here's the link to my channel , feel free to give me all your feedbacks !

Vivz Mayster - YouTube

Thank you all , enjoy

Vivz.

Game List:

3D Mark Test : Mobile Device and Notebook Bench
Trackmania Nations Benchmark with 4 different settings (Minimum, Low , Medium , High)
Flat Out Ultimate Carnage Race and High Jump Mode
League of Legends ARAM (Online/No bots)
Mafia II Benchmark and Story Mode
Burnout Paradise
Age of Empire III
DIRT
Sims 3
Titan Quest : Immortal Throne
The Walking Dead
Tomb Raider Legend
Just Cause 2
ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 7 (Entire game finished with settings showed into FF9 video: Ran well)
ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 8
ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 9
PCSX2 (Ps2 Emulator) Final Fantasy 10
PCSX2 (Ps2 Emulator) Final Fantasy 12
PPSSPP (PSP Emulator) Wipeout Pure
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Tekken 6
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Worms : Open Warfare 2
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Lumines
Project64 (N64 emulator) Super Smash Bros
Project64 (N64 emulator) Mario Kart 64
Dolphin (Game Cube Emulator) Resident Evil : Zero
Dolphin (Game Cube Emulator) Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles

Last edited:
OP
V

Vivz

New vidéos :

League of Legends ARAM (Online/No bots)
Mafia II Benchmark and Story Mode

2 more adds :

Burnout Paradise
Age of Empire III

Last edited:
OP
V

Vivz

Hello Everybody !

Today I've recorded and added 10 new videos, enjoy and feel free to comment:

DIRT
Sims 3
Titan Quest : Immortal Throne
The Walking Dead
Tomb Raider Legend
Just Cause 2
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Tekken 6
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Worms : Open Warfare 2
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core
PPSSPP (PsP Emulator) Lumines

About Just Cause, it dont run on my surface, like 6 fps, very slow, and at the end of my video it crashed. I'm very surprise about it cause it's not a very recent game with huge recommanded CPU/GPU. I saw a video with someone running it, slow but a bit more playable than me. Seems he installed better graphics drivers , i'll check it soon..

OP
V

Vivz

4 new videos :

Project64 (N64 emulator) Super Smash Bros
Project64 (N64 emulator) Mario Kart 64
Dolphin (Game Cube Emulator) Resident Evil : Zero
Dolphin (Game Cube Emulator) Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles

No surprises with N64 which ran smoothly but with Dolphin I reached the Surface's Pro limits. On RE it ran smooth and full speed but with FFCC it was full speed only 70% of time. I've also tried Métal Gear Solid Twin Snakes but it was slow, like 70% speed. I've updated Intel graphics drivers but it isn't better.

OP
V

Vivz

3 more vidéos today

ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 7
PCSX2 (Ps2 Emulator) Final Fantasy 12

Tried Shadow of the colossus on PCSX2 but it don't run smooth, like 30% speed.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vivz

Wanted to see how this run on Surface Pro, Final Fantasy XIV ARR Benchmark

It runs nicely , not high fps but more playable and beautiful than PS3 version so.. :)

And it's a very recent game so it's not bad at all..!

It's my last video, I think i've done enough and differents gameplays for the moment.

Who said HD Graphics 4000 is nothing but crap? When I look at my videos I'm happy to see that, one more time, people talked too fast! :cool2:

tarrant64

I think it's fair to say that the Intel HD 4000 has it's shortcomings, but it's no slouch either. People probably would have preferred something like the Intel HD 5000 (I think is in the Macbook air?). With that said, Microsoft still didn't go up to the 5000 series when they released the Surface Pro 2 series, instead opting for the HD 4400 - which was a noticeable improvement over the HD 4000.

I did the same FFXIV testing and found that it did run fine (not the best) for my tastes. It's not a true gaming rig, and was never intended to be, but it sure is a mobile powerhouse capable of at least doing the task on the go. I do LAN parties now with my Surface Pro. Turn down the settings a little bit but the fact that it takes me a minute to pack up and move is huge. Not carrying around a massive desktop or 10lb laptop - that's where the Pro shines (both 1 and 2)

Thanks for the videos!

Bulgaro

ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 7
ePSXe (Ps1 emulator) Final Fantasy 9

In your videos, you are not running those games fullscreen. Did you encounter any issues? If not, could you please detail your configuration, because in my testings, FF8 for example is running extremely slow in fullscreen and smooth in windowed. I chose a window size (1900x600 or something) that is not quite fullscreen but close to "fix" the problem, but I'd like to know if epsxe is apble to run everything.

I think I don't have the updated Intel drivers, since I just let Windows Update do its thing.

I actually used to run epsxe without issue on my previous surface pro (I had to replace it due to a software issue - warranty..) and I had actually switched to psxfin to try the enhanced resolution settings it prodives. I wonder what happened between those two surfaces. (Even weirder, Dota 2 is running better on the new surface than on the old one).

Thanks!

PS: Did you get SuperSmashBros to run on Dolphin? If so, is it laggy/slow on some levels and/or with more that 2 characters?

OP
V

Vivz

Hi Bulgaro ,

Someone asked me about it yesterday on my FF8 video comments, here's my answer:

Hi, I ran it full screen at 1366x768 with same framerate.
I had trouble to run it on higher resolution, screen wasnt correctly centered.

But anyway in my opinion it's useless to run it on very high resolution because on games like final fantasy, it will show high res characters/items models on low resolution lands.

Hope it helps.

And no, I haven't tried Ssb on Dolphin, I haven't spend much time on that emulator, I'll retry later.

Last edited: