What's new

Surface Pro i3 Owner input please (Computer Science Majors especially)

TheMovieHero

Hey all, I know the SP4 is around the corner, and I'm going to wait of course, but I want an i3 Model for the price mostly, and the fact I heard battery life and fan speed was optimal on it. Would it be wise to invest in one for a starting computer science major? I start in the spring and want something light. I have an iMac desktop with the works, so power is not a problem at home, I just want to be able to do school work and notes on the go. The most intense gaming I would do on it would be like a point and click game, or visual novel or something, but that is not its purpose. I just don't know what programs I need to use aside from virtual machines, and if it can run it well. Also, can you install programs to the micro sd card? Any input would be great, everyone welcome. I had a surface pro 1st gen with terrible battery life and loud fans, and like a 3 hour battery, so i sold it and don't have a laptop currently. I don't want a loud fan, but i want to be able to do my school work no problem or freezing.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
+1 on the i5. I do intense VM and 3D earth modeling (geophysics) with my i7, and I mention that because modern gaming is more taxing that even this. So, i5 minimum.

I have been using my SP3 for over a year, and the only SP3 fan heard around here is me.

OP
T

TheMovieHero

Thanks all. I'm going to try and order Tuesday, I'm waiting to be sure the SP4 doesn't have something I must have first, though I don't forsee it. If its just thinner or something, I can deal. Working full time and this will be big piece of my budget, since I have to pay for school as well. I'll be able to swing the 4Gb, that should do it right?

olimjj

Thanks all. I'm going to try and order Tuesday, I'm waiting to be sure the SP4 doesn't have something I must have first, though I don't forsee it. If its just thinner or something, I can deal. Working full time and this will be big piece of my budget, since I have to pay for school as well. I'll be able to swing the 4Gb, that should do it right?

Dont forget to apply for the Student/educator discount :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
And don't forget to consider all of us with our i5s and the extended warranty who'll be cashing em in in the coming days ;) those i5s will suddenly become very affordable me thinks.

Johnny365

+1 on the i5. I do intense VM and 3D earth modeling (geophysics) with my i7, and I mention that because modern gaming is more taxing that even this. So, i5 minimum.

I have been using my SP3 for over a year, and the only SP3 fan heard around here is me.

You....have a fan inside of you or do you mean when people are around you, they notice your SP3 fan noise? o_O

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You....have a fan inside of you or do you mean when people are around you, they notice your SP3 fan noise? o_O

Trying to make a joke.

My SP3 fan almost never runs. I heard it only about three times in the last year, despite very heavy daily use. The times the fan started seem to be during firmware updates.

Also notable: I have a vinyl skin AND an Urban Armor Gear Rogue cover on the SP3.