Surface Pro Pen Not Getting Detected

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Help' started by culex4096, Feb 10, 2013.

1. culex4096

culex4096 New Member

I just bought a surface pro and love it so far but I just turned it on after a few hours and now the pen is not getting detected by the screen. Any one have any ideas on how to get it to work? Thanks.

2. Nemesis296

Nemesis296 New Member

I haven't had this problem, but if you goto the Start screen and search for "pen and touch" under settings, there should be a way to reset the Pen settings. I'd try re-calibrating the pen, and seeing if those settings might affect something. It could certainly be a faulty pen, but I'd try messing with settings first.

I don't think the Pen has a battery or any kind of power, but then again I'm attaching my Pen to the AC magnet when it's not in use (and not plugged in). Maybe try that too?

3. culex4096

culex4096 New Member

I did try that but you're not able to reset the pen settings without a functioning pen :( .... and I believe the pen isn't powered, but I could be mistaken.

4. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Pen is not powered but is inductively activated. That is to say that it has an induction sensor in it and when it comes within proximity of the screen the coil is activated and the pen is detected. I suppose it is possible to have either the pen or the Surface be bad and not pick each other up.

5. culex4096

culex4096 New Member

Grrrr that would be bad news if it was the Surface

6. turokk

turokk New Member

same problem here....i was using artrage normally with my pen, then i put my computer to sleep, 30 minutes later i come back, pen isnt working.

7. paulwpark

paulwpark New Member

I had the same problem once. I even tried to reboot. If you have a microSD card installed, take it out and it may come back. Mine did after I did that. I put the card back in and it hasn't done that again...

8. turokk

turokk New Member

well my surface went to sleep... when i woke it up, now its working fine......if this happens im just going to return this

9. culex4096

culex4096 New Member

It has come back and just now it went away again.... most frustrating flaw of the Pro by far. Just wish I knew what causes it

10. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    That doesn't sound right. Accuracy issues have been discussed but not the pen coming and going. I'd try a refresh, if that doesn't work a reset and if that doesn't work a return.

11. Markus Stenemo

Markus Stenemo New Member

I am experiencing the same problem with the pen coming and going (usually within a few seconds to minutes).

12. dniezby

dniezby Member

Lol. Guys (and Gals) the pen IS powered. You put two batteries (or should have) when you opened the surface. There are 4 batteries in it.

Didn't you read the instructions? Two batteries are in the pen area. Unscrew it. Then there are two batteries in the head. You have to unscrew the pen then once it is unscrewed, using a small watch screwdriver, unscrew the battery compartment in the head.

Try new batteries. The pair it.

To pair your pen, hold down the top button until the green light comes on. Then turn your sp3 Bluetooth on.