What's new

Surface Pro scratch resistance

gtext

In Oz we haven't seen the SP3 yet, so is it more scratch resistance than the SP2.
Going on the reports I saw (Didn't own one) the SP2 was very easy to scratch as it was a painted surface. Seemed to be a common complaint.

GoodBytes

Microsoft didn't say that the paint was scratch resistant. As magnesium body is painted, it will be exactly like the SP2. The difference is that minor scratches will be less visible as the paint color is somewhat close to the magnesium one, and not contrasted (silver (scratch) on black).

David Puddy

the screen scratches very easily, no matter how careful I am. When I use the pen I can feel a slight catch on certain areas now because of some invisible scratches that were created somehow.

GoodBytes

I have a screen protector on mine (Surface Pro 2). I strongly suggest everyone to get one.

The thing is the pen wont' scratch the screen, the gorilla glass is resistant against that, however the moment the screen is dirty (dust, or accumulation of finger oil/dirt, from using the touch screen), now you are asking for scratches. Gorilla glass is a highly hyped product. It is scratch resistant, but it's actually not great. The point of Gorilla glass, is to return the scratch resistance of tempered glass to glass. Not make it scratch proof, or really hard to scratch. The only way to have it really scratch resistant, is if they use plastic based glass, but that has other downsides as well.

sleith001

the screen scratches very easily, no matter how careful I am. When I use the pen I can feel a slight catch on certain areas now because of some invisible scratches that were created somehow.

I have to try really hard to believe you. I have Lumia 520, I tortured it any way I can, I don't a scratch. Any glass made in this days can't be scratched easily. Unless you are talking about glass cutter pen.

cdf3

I'll definitely be putting a screen protector on mine once I find one I like. I have other devices with Gorrilla glass that wound up getting hairline scratches. In the right lighting environment and at the right angle, I'm able to see a few. From then on I've been using screen protectors on my devices. If you wind up getting any type of sand particle on your finger or the glass, it will definitely scratch.