What's new

Surface Pro sound not working

Ever since my surface restarted itself for updates I've been having a sound issue. The volume would be on but I can't hear anything. I left my surface and let the battery drain and the sound started to work again. Now, it's not working anymore. Help?

Chupavisor

I have had the same issue. If I restart my surface it will work for a little and then stop.

I use Rosetta Stone and when it stops working, Rosetta stone also stops working and says there is no audio output device on the computer.

OP
C

Christine Varghese

I have had the same issue. If I restart my surface it will work for a little and then stop.

I use Rosetta Stone and when it stops working, Rosetta stone also stops working and says there is no audio output device on the computer.

I've been force restarting my surface to make the sound work again and every time I leave it unattended, the sound doesn't work again. So you don't have any other solutions other than restarting the surface do you?

OP
C

Christine Varghese

I wish I could say otherwise...
It started happening after updating my Surface. I have the Surface Pro 1. You?
Yeah, same here. I have the surface pro 1 and had updates as well. Ever since I restarted it and the update took place, it's been happening. I still have a warranty on it so might take it in to see what's up.

Bill_Ohio

A-ha! I think I may have figured this no-sound-from-headphones problem, at least for the Surface Pro 3. It's a long explanation, and I hope I don't exceed any posting limits.

1. Make sure that sound is configured to recognize the headphones as the default device when they are plugged in. To do this:

a. Go to “Search” from the Start page and select “Settings” from the drop down.

b. Type in “adjust sound”, and select “Manage Audio Devices” from the list. It should be the last one

c. Select the “Playback” tab. You should see an icon for speakers which should be marked “Default Device”. Plug in your headphones. A second, headphone icon should appear. If it is marked “Default Device”, close the dialog box. If it isn’t, highlight the headphone icon and select “Set Default” from the bottom of the dialog box. Click “Apply” and “OK”.

2. Headphones on the Surface Pro 3 apparently do not automatically disconnect the internal speakers when plugged in, nor reconnect them when unplugged. Before you start the audio playback you want to listen to through your headphones, you need to PLUG IN THE HEADPHONES FIRST, then start the audio playback.

3. If you want to change from headphones to internal speakers during the playback, you need to STOP the playback, unplug the headphones, and then re-start the playback.

4. The last step didn’t always work for me. Easiest thing to do is re-boot. However, if the speakers won’t work, stop the playback, plug in the headphones, start the playback, stop it again, unplug the headphones, and re-start playback. It seemed helpful to go slowly when changing back to speakers from headphones.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure if Microsoft wanted it to work this way, or if I just have a faulty headphone/mic jack.

KenC

Ever since my surface restarted itself for updates I've been having a sound issue. The volume would be on but I can't hear anything. I left my surface and let the battery drain and the sound started to work again. Now, it's not working anymore. Help?

I too am having the same issue on SP1 after latest update. Don't want the conversation derailed by the above post (which seems to be about something totally different).

Anyone else having sound issues on SP1 after the latest system update?

jimshdz

Same trouble with my SP1 after update. Works fine with BT and Headphones - just the onboard speakers are not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

surfacepro1user

I had the same problem - it started working again when I rebooted, but then stopped again. Help, please?

Chupavisor

I don't know about you guys, but I never upgraded to Windows 8.1.

Since my sounds stopped working due to updates, I DID upgrade my Surface one to Windows 8.1 and now it DOES work. Just thought I'd share.

XxthecaseyxX

I just found a solution to the problem. I think the new audio drivers are the problem. Go to device manager, expand sound, video, and game controllers. Long press Intel... and click properties. Go to the driver tab and click roll back driver and click okay. Wait about 10 seconds, and the problem is solved!

sproutsr

Worked perfectly, except mine was the high def not the intel. Same process though. Thank you so much. Now if I could just free up space on this thing.