What's new

Surface Pro wakes in bag

Codevine

Alright, thanks, I'll try some of these.

Maybe time to update to an SSD or at least a hybrid drive :)
Yeah but not on this Notebook anymore. ;P
I plan on getting the Surface Pro when it's released in Germany, so I won't have to wait that long. Desktop already has an SSD, so no problems there.

Talldog

I set the two input devices for the keyboard and touch cover to not wake the machine up. Seems to be working well for now.
I did that a while back, and while it has improved the situation, my SP still wakes up once in a while. The last time was a couple of weeks ago.

MaxSurface

This worries me because my Sony Vaio laptop woke up inside the carrying bag and ended up cooking itself in there. I had to send it back for service and they said they reinstalled the processor. It was a first gen i7 which must have cooked the thermal paste like an easy bake oven. The Surface Pro 128gb I just bought shouldn't run nearly as hot as my laptop, but I still wouldn't want it running in a closed bag for too long. I am going to completely shutdown before putting mine in a bag or sleeve.

Talldog

I am going to completely shutdown before putting mine in a bag or sleeve.
Not a bad idea. Even though the SP should shut itself down before it gets hot enough to do damage, it still freaked me out the first time I pulled it out of the bag and it was hot. Now that I have the Manvex cover, I don't worry about it, because the cover is open enough to dissipate the heat. The last time it woke up, it was in the Manvex, and it got warm but not hot

DOS

I have a theory about this…

You put the Surface to sleep, stuff it in a bag, and go off on your marry way.
The Surface has a nightmare, wakes up, and finds itself stuffed in a sack being hauled away.
Wouldn’t you get a little hot over that?

Seriously, if you’ve taken the time to put it in the bag, it probably means you’re not going to be using it for a while… shut it down.

Nuspieds

Seriously, if you’ve taken the time to put it in the bag, it probably means you’re not going to be using it for a while… shut it down.
But it's not always as black-and-white as that.

Sometimes it is all about productivity. For example, say that you're in the middle of some work and you've got several apps, web pages, etc., open and it's time to go, but you've not yet finished your work. If you shut down, you will lose all your "reference points" (i.e., open apps, web pages, etc.). So, yes, there are occasions where some of us want to take the advantage of "turning off" the computer without losing our current state of activity. It, therefore, makes perfect sense to want to take advantage of a built-in feature that will put the computer the sleep when you, for example, fold the cover onto the front of the Surface.

DOS

But it's not always as black-and-white as that.

Sometimes it is all about productivity. For example, say that you're in the middle of some work and you've got several apps, web pages, etc., open and it's time to go, but you've not yet finished your work. If you shut down, you will lose all your "reference points" (i.e., open apps, web pages, etc.). So, yes, there are occasions where some of us want to take the advantage of "turning off" the computer without losing our current state of activity. It, therefore, makes perfect sense to want to take advantage of a built-in feature that will put the computer the sleep when you, for example, fold the cover onto the front of the Surface.

Point taken. But if you’re going to be on the move like that, don’t put it in the bag, that’s what’s causing the overheating.

Of course you can say it’s a flaw in the Surface, but apparently, since it has happened with others, it’ not necessarily the Surface’s fault. Then you can blame it on Windows, and you may be right, but it’s like the old joke goes:

Man says to the doctor, “My arm hurts when I do this.”
The doctor replays, “Then don’t do that.”

As a side note, which is probably a work ethic issue:

“…and it's time to go, but you've not yet finished your work.”

Simple answer, you don’t go.

riggi

I'm often working on something at home, but then i have to go to work. i have several documents open, web pages etc. and i don't want to shut down and lose my place in everything.

Not putting the SP in the bag is not an option.
And it specifically is a work ethic issue for many people because their "work" time is no longer constrained to when they are at their desk at work, but there is a requirement/expectation that people be available outside of the office, and productive outside of the office in order to meet deadlines.

Nuspieds

Point taken. But if you’re going to be on the move like that, don’t put it in the bag, that’s what’s causing the overheating.

Of course you can say it’s a flaw in the Surface, but apparently, since it has happened with others, it’ not necessarily the Surface’s fault. Then you can blame it on Windows, and you may be right, but it’s like the old joke goes:

Man says to the doctor, “My arm hurts when I do this.”
The doctor replays, “Then don’t do that.”

As a side note, which is probably a work ethic issue:

“…and it's time to go, but you've not yet finished your work.”

Simple answer, you don’t go.
I carry mine in my laptop bag (along with my work laptop) all the time and I haven't had any issues of it waking up when in its pouch.

I have, however, experienced that problem with my previous laptops and it has always been my fault, not the hardware or OS. For example, I'd forget to turn off my mobile mouse and during my commute, it would move around in the bag, causing an event that would wake up my laptop. Before one jumps to the conclusion that it is the device and/or OS, one should definitely investigate further because the root cause may definitely be user error.

riggi

I do have a problem with the Type Cover waking the surface.

I have gone into Control Panel>Keyboard>Hardware>Surface Type Cover>Properties>Change Settings>Power Management

Unticked "Allow this device to wake the computer"

If the SP is asleep (I swipe the charm and choose the sleep option from the power menu), I can press a key on the Type Cover and it still wakes up.
I'm sure this is what is causing it to wake in my bag if it gets bumped hard enough register a key press.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It has been discussed before that powering down is the most reliable way to prevent waking. If that doesn't work you need to choose Hibernate which is deeper than just sleeping. Hibernate may also require changing wake setting of specific components as was mentioned. Sleep is the most likely to have the Surface wake back up and also drains the most power even while it is standby. The best thing you can do to preserve battery life, overheating and unintentional wakes is Power off>Hibernate>Sleep. Needs of the user will dictate the method that is the most acceptable.