What's new

Surface Pro x alternatives if no SP5

convergent

Microsoft is now saying there is no SP5 in the pipeline and I'm 2 weeks into my return period on the SP4, which I do really like. But before the time expires, I wanted to make sure I'm considering all the real alternative devices. By alternative, I mean a device that I can use as a tablet (not a folded over 2 in 1) and attach a keyboard to use as a laptop. So real clones of the SP4.

Here is what I've come up with:

Samsung Galaxy Book (looks very promising)
HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (looks promising, but not out yet)
Dell 7275 (overpriced and horrible battery life)
Dell 7285 (to be determined)

Any others?

OP
convergent

convergent

I wonder if Microsoft is going to sidestep because now other makers are starting to build similar stuff? If their goal was to establish the platform in the market, they have be ready to call it a victory.

MickeyLittle

Any thoughts on the Miix 720? You know given your position and Microsoft's event coming up in 13 days I think you're going to get good news one way or the other. Either they are coming out with an upgraded SP4 or something and so you should have a few days left to make a decision on what to do.

In fact whomever you bought this one from might even have a price drop if there is an updated SP4 and you could get a price match guarantee.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting discussion here. Seems all these machines are being compared to the Surface attributes, and in the end, Surface keeps earning its place as the standard. For now. Microsoft is about 20 minutes ahead of the competition.

OP
convergent

convergent

Any thoughts on the Miix 720? You know given your position and Microsoft's event coming up in 13 days I think you're going to get good news one way or the other. Either they are coming out with an upgraded SP4 or something and so you should have a few days left to make a decision on what to do.

In fact whomever you bought this one from might even have a price drop if there is an updated SP4 and you could get a price match guarantee.

Unfortunately I'm not so lucky. I bought from the Microsoft store and my return period ends a few days before the big announcement day that they've sent mixed signals on.

MickeyLittle

Maybe worth a trip there and a discussion with the MOD such as, "Hey my return period is about up but Microsoft is having an Event on the 23rd. I want to return this in case there is an upgrade or newer model but I don't want to return it in case there's not. Can you work with me by extending my return period a few days so that we don't waste each other's time by doing a possible unnecessary return?"

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I'm not so lucky. I bought from the Microsoft store and my return period ends a few days before the big announcement day that they've sent mixed signals on.

Then why not just return it at the end of the return window, see what happens come the day of reckoning, and then buy it again if it seems the right thing to do.

OP
convergent

convergent

Then why not just return it at the end of the return window, see what happens come the day of reckoning, and then buy it again if it seems the right thing to do.

Getting it all setup has taken quite a bit of time and not sure I want to go through that again. One Drive, One Drive for Business, Office apps, 1Password, browser choices, Lightroom, etc.. Granted it would go a lot quicker to do it again because I've learned so much through the process. But it would take several days to get back to this point.

I'm also 50/50 on whether I'd want to risk the "new device bugginess".

There really isn't a wrong choice here. The only downside of the SP4 to me is battery life and that can easily be mitigated by carrying a battery to recharge on long flights.

MickeyLittle

Well then it seems as though you've answered your own question :) But rest assured that at this point you have definitely been provided with some other options.

OP
convergent

convergent

Right... I didn't intend the thread just for my own situation, but was intended to be a more broad discussion of SP4 alternatives.

OP
convergent

convergent

I finally got to check out the Galaxy Book at a Verizon store today. Bottom line is I would not want this over the SP4. The things I didn't like were:
- lack of kickstand when off the keyboard, and even when on keyboard
- keyboard was too flimsy for my liking... really flexed a lot and I thought I was going to break it pulling it lose from the GB because the magnets are too strong
- display seemed dull compared to SP4
- looks too similar last to iPad

I'll stick with the SP4 and take the shorter battery life.