What's new

Surface Pro x alternatives if no SP5

OP
convergent

convergent

The i5/8GB/512GB option is what I would prefer to have, frankly. My daily driver at home is a Mac Mini with i5/8gb/1TB SSD, and a second 512GB SSD (which used to be my primary). This is primarily that big though because my wife fills her phone with pictures that I offload ever month to that computer.

jrioux

Nice review from Lisa. One thing I disagree with is that she dogs Microsoft by stating that Samsung included the keyboard but she doesn't clean that up by stating that Samsung is charging $130 more than what the Surface Pro 4 cost back at release date for the same i5 4gb 128 model. If I remember correctly.
The Galaxy Book with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB of storage is $100 less expensive than the new Surface Pro with an i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB of storage and basic keyboard.

Oh, and the Samsung comes with the pen, while the newest Surface doesn't.

Last edited:
OP
convergent

convergent

I'm in analysis paralysis (which is not new for me). Here are pricing of options for device, keyboard, and pen; minus tax, extended warranty, etc..

i5/8G/256G
$1567 - New Surface Pro
$1128 - Surface Pro 4
$978 - Surface Pro 4 Refurb
$749 - Acer Switch Alpha 12
$594 - Acer Switch Alpha 12 Refurb

And, the i7/8G/512G options on SA12 are $914 (new) and $744 (refurb)

This is tough. That is quite a spread of prices. It doesn't help that I have a credit of about $1,700 on my Amex card after travel reimbursements that I paid for prior. The new one is tempting and would be fun to have the latest and greatest... haven't done that in a while. But after extended warranty and tax we are talking about over $1,800.

MickeyLittle

I'm in analysis paralysis (which is not new for me). Here are pricing of options for device, keyboard, and pen; minus tax, extended warranty, etc..

i5/8G/256G
$1567 - New Surface Pro
$1128 - Surface Pro 4
$978 - Surface Pro 4 Refurb
$749 - Acer Switch Alpha 12
$594 - Acer Switch Alpha 12 Refurb

And, the i7/8G/512G options on SA12 are $914 (new) and $744 (refurb)

This is tough. That is quite a spread of prices. It doesn't help that I have a credit of about $1,700 on my Amex card after travel reimbursements that I paid for prior. The new one is tempting and would be fun to have the latest and greatest... haven't done that in a while. But after extended warranty and tax we are talking about over $1,800.

Thanks for the research as this is quite interesting! It sure makes the Switch Alpha look appealing ;)