What's new

Surface Pro X limited software functionality due to the cpu make it not worth the hype

macmee

Me? No, but I know several tech reviewing friends and all of their experiences matched each other. Lackluster, frustrating device that will need LOTS OF TIME before it becomes useful to the mainstream much less on the go journalists that like to have an "always on LTE connection" on their device for work. So I will save myself the $1,750 cost of entry for a product that can work with FEWER applications than my current device can.

I think most reviewers did a bad job and didn't understand what they were reviewing. The SPX is everything I want. It runs WSL2, docker, office, firefox, chromium all ARM64. I get 10 hours battery life easy, and decent performance and a beautiful screen.

It is literally what I wanted the Surface to be since the SP1. A small tablet with good battery life and a full desktop OS.

This seems like a fair review: Surface Pro X review: More than just a thin Surface Pro with LTE

If it's not the device for you then don't buy it. For me though it's exactly what I wanted for years.

Geoff Arnold

What macmee said. I'm finding the SPX to be the perfect mobile productivity device. I used to be a Mac user, so I don't find the SPX overpriced :)

The launch software build is mostly OK, but the stock Edge browser is marginal, so everyone should grab the Canary release of the Edge/Chromium browser. They're producing nightly ARM builds.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I added an AT&T LTE Data SIM and have unlimited for $20/month, so now I really can use this anywhere, no more trying to secure guest access to wireless...

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I added an AT&T LTE Data SIM and have unlimited for $20/month, so now I really can use this anywhere, no more trying to secure guest access to wireless...

Right, LTE is definitely a great feature this device has for people always on the go. I just would not like if it surprisingly stops me from helping a customer because an application's ARM counterpart has not been compiled yet and may not be for a while since it's not a huge urgency to make it ARM compatible. Still have to wait and see....more time will show if the Pro X is worth it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Right, LTE is definitely a great feature this device has for people always on the go. I just would not like if it surprisingly stops me from helping a customer because an application's ARM counterpart has not been compiled yet and may not be for a while since it's not a huge urgency to make it ARM compatible. Still have to wait and see....more time will show if the Pro X is worth it.
Obviously you are not the target audience for the Surface Pro X, I fit the demographic that this device is made for, and the value exchange is worth it to me. For me it is not too expensive and what it offers to make me more productive out weighs any limitations.

If you need 100% backwards compatibility with Win32 binaries (specifically x64) then you are not the target. I can see in an Enterprise, the use of LTE and WVD would overcome any of these limitations.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Despite being an owner of the Surface Book 2, and a heavy geophysical workstation user, the Surface Pro X looks great for most of my use, like email, Web browsing, and Office.

So congratulations to you fortunate owners.

jonneymendoza2

What's wrong with just tethering from your phone if you want Internet on the go? Not many have two sim contracts on the go

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What's wrong with just tethering from your phone if you want Internet on the go? Not many have two sim contracts on the go

Because tethering impacts battery and through-put is less - I've been tethering until now

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Obviously you are not the target audience for the Surface Pro X, I fit the demographic that this device is made for, and the value exchange is worth it to me. For me it is not too expensive and what it offers to make me more productive out weighs any limitations.

If you need 100% backwards compatibility with Win32 binaries (specifically x64) then you are not the target. I can see in an Enterprise, the use of LTE and WVD would overcome any of these limitations.

There's a guy in our Enterprise that just uses an iPad and connects to a VDI to a Windows 7 desktop environment to do ALL of his work off of the iPad. He has LTE on it and doesn't even use a physical keyboard, yet he still types long emails and is able to use the full functionality of a Windows 7 desktop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There's a guy in our Enterprise that just uses an iPad and connects to a VDI to a Windows 7 desktop environment to do ALL of his work off of the iPad. He has LTE on it and doesn't even use a physical keyboard, yet he still types long emails and is able to use the full functionality of a Windows 7 desktop.
I did that with my Galaxy Tab S6 to update code with VS 2019 on a Windows 10 VM in Azure :)

Geoff Arnold

Two SIM contracts? I'm a T-Mobile customer (with a family plan covering a number of phones), and I just added a tablet SIM to my existing contract. Very easy.