Surface Pro X limited software functionality due to the cpu make it not worth the hype

Discussion in 'Surface Pro X' started by Turbo4AWD, Oct 23, 2019.

1. macmee

macmee Active Member

I think most reviewers did a bad job and didn't understand what they were reviewing. The SPX is everything I want. It runs WSL2, docker, office, firefox, chromium all ARM64. I get 10 hours battery life easy, and decent performance and a beautiful screen.

It is literally what I wanted the Surface to be since the SP1. A small tablet with good battery life and a full desktop OS.

This seems like a fair review: Surface Pro X review: More than just a thin Surface Pro with LTE

If it's not the device for you then don't buy it. For me though it's exactly what I wanted for years.

Geoff Arnold and sharpuser like this.
  2. Geoff Arnold

Geoff Arnold New Member

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    What macmee said. I'm finding the SPX to be the perfect mobile productivity device. I used to be a Mac user, so I don't find the SPX overpriced :)

The launch software build is mostly OK, but the stock Edge browser is marginal, so everyone should grab the Canary release of the Edge/Chromium browser. They're producing nightly ARM builds.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    I added an AT&T LTE Data SIM and have unlimited for $20/month, so now I really can use this anywhere, no more trying to secure guest access to wireless...

4. Geoff Arnold

Geoff Arnold New Member

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    I got an identical deal from T-Mobile.

jnjroach likes this.
  5. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Right, LTE is definitely a great feature this device has for people always on the go. I just would not like if it surprisingly stops me from helping a customer because an application's ARM counterpart has not been compiled yet and may not be for a while since it's not a huge urgency to make it ARM compatible. Still have to wait and see....more time will show if the Pro X is worth it.

6. jnjroach

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    Obviously you are not the target audience for the Surface Pro X, I fit the demographic that this device is made for, and the value exchange is worth it to me. For me it is not too expensive and what it offers to make me more productive out weighs any limitations.

If you need 100% backwards compatibility with Win32 binaries (specifically x64) then you are not the target. I can see in an Enterprise, the use of LTE and WVD would overcome any of these limitations.

Turbo4AWD likes this.
  7. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Despite being an owner of the Surface Book 2, and a heavy geophysical workstation user, the Surface Pro X looks great for most of my use, like email, Web browsing, and Office.

So congratulations to you fortunate owners.

8. jonneymendoza2

jonneymendoza2 New Member

My Device:
    Other
    What's wrong with just tethering from your phone if you want Internet on the go? Not many have two sim contracts on the go

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. jnjroach

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    Because tethering impacts battery and through-put is less - I've been tethering until now

10. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    There's a guy in our Enterprise that just uses an iPad and connects to a VDI to a Windows 7 desktop environment to do ALL of his work off of the iPad. He has LTE on it and doesn't even use a physical keyboard, yet he still types long emails and is able to use the full functionality of a Windows 7 desktop.

11. jnjroach

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    I did that with my Galaxy Tab S6 to update code with VS 2019 on a Windows 10 VM in Azure :)

12. Geoff Arnold

Geoff Arnold New Member

My Device:
    SurfaceProX
    Two SIM contracts? I'm a T-Mobile customer (with a family plan covering a number of phones), and I just added a tablet SIM to my existing contract. Very easy.