What's new

Surface Pro3, can't print from internet explorer

Kflynn47

Hi,

I am able to print documents from word, exel, PowerPoint, but when I try to print from internet explorer, the webpage won't print. Any ideas?

Thanks.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Pull down the file menu and click print preview, what do you see?

Some WEB pages aren't designed to print or print properly in several different browsers. Does it happen at multiple WEB sites?

coucho

Are you trying to print from Microsoft Edge? If so, the default is no print option of right click anymore, rather click on the 3 dots at the top right of your Explorer window, then select Print from the drop down.

OP
K

Kflynn47

Welcome to the forum

Pull down the file menu and click print preview, what do you see?

Some WEB pages aren't designed to print or print properly in several different browsers. Does it happen at multiple WEB sites?

Yes, I have actually been trying to print from IE both from the print preview view and have also just clicked "print". All I get is a spinning circle. But when printing from MS word, etc. It just prints, with no problem. I cannot print from any website, including the simple Google search page.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kflynn47

Are you trying to print from Microsoft Edge? If so, the default is no print option of right click anymore, rather click on the 3 dots at the top right of your Explorer window, then select Print from the drop down.

I have not upgraded to windows 10 yet, I have windows 8.1 so I am not using Microsoft edge. This is a brand new SP3, one week old replacement for one that was purchased in June.

coucho

Okay cool, thanks for the further info.
1. is it a network printer, or locally attached (via a USB port)?
2. Is the printer you are trying to print to the 'default' printer?
3. If it is a locally attached printer, try removing the USB cable, then remove the device from Windows completely (Control Panel ... Devices and Printers, right click the printer, then delete. Remove any other printers that display as the printer you are having trouble with). Reboot. Plug the USB cable back in and let Windows discover the device.
4. What is the make/model of printer?

See how that goes.

leeshor

Just for grins, pull down the menu and click print and make certain it's going to the correct printer. Ir will remember the last printer used and won't necessarily use the default if you use the print icon.

OP
K

Kflynn47

Okay cool, thanks for the further info.
1. is it a network printer, or locally attached (via a USB port)?
2. Is the printer you are trying to print to the 'default' printer?
3. If it is a locally attached printer, try removing the USB cable, then remove the device from Windows completely (Control Panel ... Devices and Printers, right click the printer, then delete. Remove any other printers that display as the printer you are having trouble with). Reboot. Plug the USB cable back in and let Windows discover the device.
4. What is the make/model of printer?

See how that goes.

It is a network printer.
Yes, it is the default printer (recall it prints no problem from ms word).
I have removed the device and reinstalled several times, using the supplied CD from the printer manufacturer HP, as well as trying to install via internet.
Printer is HP deskjet 3632.
It's my roommates printer I don't have a usb cable connection to it.

Thanks.

OP
K

Kflynn47

Just for grins, pull down the menu and click print and make certain it's going to the correct printer. Ir will remember the last printer used and won't necessarily use the default if you use the print icon.

Tried that, same result.

coucho

It is a network printer.
Yes, it is the default printer (recall it prints no problem from ms word).
I have removed the device and reinstalled several times, using the supplied CD from the printer manufacturer HP, as well as trying to install via internet.
Printer is HP deskjet 3632.
It's my roommates printer I don't have a usb cable connection to it.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how to find the 'port' the printer is printing to? Its under Printer Properties, then select the Ports tab. See if the port is set to a WSD (Web Services for Devices) port, or to an IP port. If it is set to WSD (the port will start with WSD- followed by a long GUID), then find the IP address of the printer, and then Add Port and setup a new local IP Port.