What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

compnovo

I'm downloading Win 8.1 RT Preview from the Store as we speak. I'll post back once it's installed and I've played with it for a while.

mmoss2

I've got it installed from Windows Store on Surface RT (takes quite a while to install - your download time may vary) - here's what I've noticed:

1. Yes - you get Outlook. Works like on the desktop. Love it!
2. You get new tile sizes on the Start menu and you also have the option to add an extra row of tiles and use wallpaper as background for Start menu.
3. Split view is nice to have 2 apps running side-by-side and the size is variable. Does NOT work for all apps.
4. Jail break does not work.
5. I noticed the installation leaves a "windows.old" folder - not sure whether to delete it or not.
6. Am curious if I can "reset" and get back to Windows 8. Haven't tried it yet but read somewhere that you can't downgrade on Windows 8.1.
7. Some tweaks to Internet Explorer - such as improved but not perfect bookmarks. Not revolutionary but fine.
8. Previously working wireless HP printer does not work anymore.
9. Expanded "PC Settings" menus to include more of the Control Panel items.
10. Start menu. Applause (?). Pretty worthless.
11. Several new apps - scan, health, cooking, calculator, alarms, sound recorder.

I'm sure others will post more.

TeknoBlast

Well looks like I'll have to reset my laptop. Something causing my HD to run at 100%. I see what the process is but I cant kill it.

thix84

I'm on the fence regarding my RT because my Acer S3 is currently under going thr process. But knowing myself, i don't know how long i can resist.

Hi Sir Arnold,

Where you to download 8.1? I checked windows store nothing there. Just update of installed app.

How can I download?

Tnx

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have it installed on my RT and on my Ultrabook, had no issues with the RT install, other than I had to uninstall most of my apps and back up my recovery partition to get 10GB of free space. Everything is working well, love the new customizations, the ability to have 4 rows without hacking and of course Outlook is awesome. I'm really happy. Store Update is nice and Xbox Music is much better from a UI perspective.

ArnoldC

Anybody outside of the US got this to work? The Windows Update Standalone Installer on mine spits out 'The update is not applicable to your computer' error.

I already changed the language and region to United States.

Or is it because I only have 3GB remaining?

hotphil

I changed all language and region options to US, changed the System Locale, ran the oft-quoted fix and it still just says the download "isn't available right now. Please try again later".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The server are slammed, on my HTPC I was receiving the same error, took about 10 retries and now it is downloading albeit very slowly even on my 80 Mbps connection...

ArnoldC

Alright, I used the UK fix on my Surface RT, and got the Preview to show on the store. Microsoft Store servers are indeed slammed now, earlier it was ok. My MSDN ISO download is progressing much, much better.

compnovo

The install went without a hitch and I've had a chance to play with it a bit. All my pre-installed apps are working fine, and IE11 seems snappier. I can't tell yet if the volume is changed (one concern I had about the beta was losing the improvement MS had made in the sound); I did have to go into the control panel and re-enable the bass boost enhancement.
Also, I spotted the Windows.old folder but I'm afraid to delete it yet. Anybody gutsier than me delete it yet?

Last edited: