What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

hotphil

I wouldn't be so sure the servers are slammed. The error message might suggest they are slammed but that could be very far from the truth...
It wouldn't surprise me if they'd pulled it entirely.

hotphil

Ah. It appears that no matter what I change, the default UI language will always report as EN-GB, hence I suspect no update for me until I find a charger and completely refresh as EN-US.
You can check your default UI language by running dism /online /get-intl at elevated command line

chatterbot

So far I really like the changes. Although, it is giving me an error message on installing reader and alarm apps. I deleted the windows.old file. I had only 8GB of space before the upgrade. Now I have 13GB free!

Everything seems to be working fine. I didn't lose any pinned webpages or apps on the start screen.

I need to check whether all my performance tweaks were changed back.

dimitris

I installed it about six hours ago. It was early in the morning here in Greece. First time the installation failed and I had a some sort of bluescreen on my surface RT. It said something of corrupted driver !!!! I tried one more time set it to install and went to slip. In the morning it was installed and my first impression are these. The explorer is much faster, I like the new cosmetics like the backgrounds etc and my surface RT seems to be a bit faster. My apps are working in general, (haven't tried them all to be honest). Curius though before the update I had 5 GBs free space and Now I get 10 GBs free !!!!.

compnovo

I've had a chance to spend some more time with 8.1 and my RT is as stable as before (not bad for a beta). I really like the ability to use the same background between the Modern UI and the desktop UI, moving between the two feels seamless now, but my favorite improvement is the addition of Outlook. Setup was dead-bone simple and, best of all, the mail I retrieve on my tablet is not pulled off the server, I still receive it when I launch Outlook on my desktop. That was a big concern for me because I didn't like the idea of important email being separated between two systems.

Two tries and it finally worked. Neat new features. I need to test it out using an external monitor. Does anyone know what the point of putting the start button on the taskbar was? When people complained about losing the start button, I think they meant the menu it opened, not just the graphic. Anyway, all it does is take you back to the Modern interface just like the windows button below the screen. Weird.

My favorite so far is that the SD card is recognized like a regular drive to which you can include in the library without a 14 step process of creating virtual drives, etc. It just works!

ArnoldC

Why the hell is my Surface RT having a base language of en-GB when it was purchased from Australia.

Tully

I live in Ireland & I get the error "This update is not suitable for your computer"

Nice one Microsoft! It tells me absolutely nothing, except that you screwed it up!

Tully