What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

ArnoldC

I don't think so. It may be because of a firmware update after installation. But i can only speculate.

guitar1969

I have a question for all you 8.1 preview users. I installed it on my RT and most excited about the addition of Outlook for RT - My question is if there is a way to pull contacts and calender items into it via outlook.com like the standalone people and calender apps do. I see the usefullnesss of Outlook RT but still see a beneift of using the standalone calender and people apps but don't want to maintain 2 different sets of data. From what I have seen, it looks like it only allows manual import or internet calenders, but not directly with Outlook.com unless I am missing something. Surley Microsoft would make a way for the new Outook RT to use syncing of calender and contacts with Outlook.com, right?

update - I got this working by using activesync data file settings and using server as "m.hotmail.com"

Another thing I am having a problerm with is I cannot get my Surface Rt to create a shortcut to Outlook RT on the Start(Metro) screen. Since Outlook RT is a desktop program, I created a shortcut of the .exe on the Desktop, and then when I right click there is an option to "add to Start" which I pick, but it does not show up like other Office shortcuts do on the start screen. Anybody else notice this?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On the Start Screen Scroll Up to expose the All Apps Screen and locate Outlook on the right side of the Apps, select and Pin to Start.

ArnoldC

For the third straight day, my Surface RT needed "press-hold, press-release" actions on the power button.

Last night before retiring to bed, I decided not to turn off the RT and just set it to airplane mode as I usually do. This morning when I got to the office, there was a loud, repeating chime inside my bag. I assume it is caused by an appointment from my calendars so I pulled out the RT and did the usual press-release on the power button. Nada. The chime has stopped and I pressed the Windows button and it's giving me the haptic feedback so the device must be awake, but no display.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Arnold....

I think there are many users experiencing this including myself, I would speculate that it has something to do with Connected Standby and Power Management.

tonyz3

I have to say after reading this i cross my fingers turning the RT on each day. So far no issues, i did get the firmware update as well after the upgrade.

ArnoldC

Here is some proof of the improved performance of 8.1 Preview-

u5y4y9a7.jpg

Last edited:

cauzion

My problems with Windows 8.1 RT Preview

1) Error on IE11 (Error: possible error with .gwt.xml module file...) - many sites return this error, but I can keep using after clicking OK. Sites like BlogSpot.com also mentions features that could not work with the browser (but couldn't find any in fact)
2) Windows + S screen clipping (feature from OneNote) now opens the Search Charm. Don't know not which key is used for OneNote Clipping
3) Couldn't find how to synchronize with Outlook RT with Live.com/Outlook.com/Exchange so I can have all appointments, contacts and tasks sync with other devices/computers
4) Some apps are not behaving like before. Some minor screen weird behavior, some apps are slower now, OneNote copy and paste from one note to another sometimes is very slow
5) When I check manually Apps Update, it always bring the Windows 8.1 new apps to be installed as it was not installed before...it happens also with some other 3rd party apps

Please, Check my Surface RT Review Blog with some REAL REVIEW on Surface Rr and Windows RT after using it for 7 months, 7 hours/day. http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com