What's new

Surface RT and WP8 cross platform commonality

pwaggs

I love my Lumina 920. I have had one since the day it was released. Then I got my surface RT and now I find my Lumia slightly frustrating. Not with the functionality but with the accessibility. I find myself flicking it and expecting the same action I get with my surface. When I want to email a photo or a link, I flick from the right looking for the charm bar before remembering that I need to access through the three dots on the bottom on the screen and navigate through the Menus. I like how when I access something through charms, it maintains a little selection of frequently selected persons to email or message. I don't have a lot of problems with the WP8 OS, I just now wish that it more closely mimicked the amazing W8 UI.

bosamar

Rumors are a Surface Phone is in the works for release next Christmas. That should be very similar to RT.

While I'm happy with my surface RT, not so much with my Nokia 822. The RT came with the built in office software, which is what I needed it for. The lack of apps for the RT is disheartening, but it still meets most of my needs. The app shortage where the windows phone is concerned is another thing altogether. Unless the availability of apps goes up a bunch I'm currently using my last windows phone; haven't been using it very long, though, so it'll probably be around a while.

kristalsoldier

While I'm happy with my surface RT, not so much with my Nokia 822. The RT came with the built in office software, which is what I needed it for. The lack of apps for the RT is disheartening, but it still meets most of my needs. The app shortage where the windows phone is concerned is another thing altogether. Unless the availability of apps goes up a bunch I'm currently using my last windows phone; haven't been using it very long, though, so it'll probably be around a while.

So would you advise someone who is looking to get a new phone to lay off a Windows phone? My partner is looking to upgrade and I have been looking at the Nokia Lumia 620 for her. As of now, she is on an ancient Nokia Symbian unit, but her tablet is a Nexus 10. I trying to tell her that her next tablet upgrade should be a Surface RT (or whatever is in the market at the time she is ready to buy, which should be in about 6-8 months from now), which is also why I was advising her on the Lumia 620.

machistmo

Windows 8 Nokia Lumia 822

• So would you advise someone who is looking to get a new phone to lay off a Windows phone? My partner is looking to upgrade and I have been looking at the Nokia Lumia 620 for her. As of now, she is on an ancient Nokia Symbian unit, but her tablet is a Nexus 10. I trying to tell her that her next tablet upgrade should be a Surface RT (or whatever is in the market at the time she is ready to buy, which should be in about 6-8 months from now), which is also why I was advising her on the Lumia 620.

I bought a Nokia Lumia 822 for my sister as her Christmas present. She LOVES it. I paid $50 (US) for the phone on a 2 year contract and $64 for a 64GB Micro SDXC card to add storage for music. For a little over $100 US she has an 80GB phone. She loves the tiles and the bright, crisp screen. I thought it would be a deal killer since her eyes are not the best, but she loves it. Her biggest complaint is the lack of a twitter app that she likes right now... She uses one but does not love it. We plugged it into my Surface Pro and it auto-downloaded the Windows Phone support application ( well it asked me to click here and I did) and it synced the phone with another press of the screen. All her data use across the phone was mapped out with a bar, that when clicked, expanded to give a detailed explanation of the phones memory use and the data cards. When clicked again the bar returned to the bottom of the screen and the Music Pictures and Videos stored on her phone were all displayed to me. I could click PC to see what relating to her phone was on the PC at anytime. All-in-all she loves it and I don't hate supporting it for her.