What's new

Surface RT for work use

vgjfelix

I made this video that hints at the 'PC power' of the tablet. Word processing wise it can pretty much do what you expect a computer to do.

[video=youtube_share;0sn0O-XlWWQ]http://youtu.be/0sn0O-XlWWQ[/video]

bosamar

I brought my RT to a meeting today and it turned into a 20 minute demonstration. I think MS may sell a few more for Christmas...

maxthepoke

I have used Word, Powerpoint, connected a projector, Skydrive, Angry Birds (of course), synced my work, home, icloud and skydrive calenders and email. I really like the ability to browse to my network drive when I am at work. I am hoping that MS will upgrade the mail client to Outlook. This is really a great tool for use. I am traveling to India in Feb. for 18 days and look forward to utilizing my Surface instead of a laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Outlook needs to be re-created from the ground up to work on a device like this, Outlook connected in an Enterprise Environment occupies 80-200MB of RAM and tends to be very chatty, all of this affects battery life. If they could Appi-fy Outlook Web Access that might work ;)

compnovo

I have used Word, Powerpoint, connected a projector, Skydrive, Angry Birds (of course), synced my work, home, icloud and skydrive calenders and email. I really like the ability to browse to my network drive when I am at work. I am hoping that MS will upgrade the mail client to Outlook. This is really a great tool for use. I am traveling to India in Feb. for 18 days and look forward to utilizing my Surface instead of a laptop.

My employer uses the Outlook Web App which I can access from any computer, anywhere. Of course it isn't as full featured as Outlook Exchange (which I use in the office) but that's a good thing from a resource consumption standpoint. As long as I can get to my emails and folders I can get my work done on the Surface. It's all good.

Bruce

Bruce -
Do you do anything with PDF docs downloaded and uploaded to SharePoint? Im having some trouble with this on my Surface and if I can't get it fixed I may have to get rid of it - which I don't want to do. I've tried Answer Desk and Micrsoft Chat - at o ne point one of them told me I just can't do what I want but I'm getting a different response from others. Any thoughts?

I'm able to download and open PDFs from Sharepoint. We're on WSS 3.0, which is an older version. Not sure if that matters.

R0bR

My employer uses the Outlook Web App which I can access from any computer, anywhere. Of course it isn't as full featured as Outlook Exchange (which I use in the office) but that's a good thing from a resource consumption standpoint. As long as I can get to my emails and folders I can get my work done on the Surface. It's all good.

Which version of OWA? We use Exchange 2010 and I find OWA 2010 to be a pretty good alternative for a web version, I'd be very happy with an app version of that for RT.

compnovo

Which version of OWA? We use Exchange 2010 and I find OWA 2010 to be a pretty good alternative for a web version, I'd be very happy with an app version of that for RT.

We're using the same version you are (2010) and I agree, it does a good job. I also agree that an app version for RT would be even better. :D
It would make the Surface RT a killer work machine.

ArnoldC

A Forrester research revealed that iPad has 26% preference, Windows 8/RT 20%, and Android 11%, among business users. Pretty good figure, and would improve over time.