Surface RT Warranty USA->Europe

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by remcov250, Feb 2, 2013.

1. remcov250

remcov250 New Member

Currently i am staying for a few months in amerika and i want to buy myself a Surface RT soon but i am unsure about the warranty.
    What happens if i go back to my home country (Netherlands) and something is broke and i need to use my warranty. Could i just contact the Dutch Microsoft, or do i need to contact the american one (because i bought it in america).

And are there going to be more colors of the Touch Covers?

2. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

From US
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

3. bryanz

bryanz New Member

Hi remcov250 I live in Spain. My advice is that you buy the surface from the German MS Store. By Law, the warranty covers across European Commnuty countries. I bought the tablet at MS German Web Store and they send it to you at no extra cost.

4. Clot

Clot New Member

I got mine in the US (I'm living in France right now). Not sure about the warranty here in the EU, but if you want to save your € it's a good plan. I got a 32GB + Type cover + 64GB SD card for 10% less than the France 32GB + Touch cover retail price. Another bonus for me was to get the Type cover in QWERTY US keyboard format (the French use AZERTY).

Handy tip: Looking for special characters like the Euro (€) symbol? Just draw it using the Surface character recognition keyboard!

Edit: After a bit more playing it seems that the character recognition keyboard only lets you draw characters available via the current on screen keyboard character set. I couldn't find a way to simply draw an arrow symbol for example. Of course all the major currency symbols are available on the standard on screen keyboard but I like being able to quickly draw characters that are not present on my Type keyboard. I would still need to change the language if I wanted French special characters though...

(sorry for getting a bit off-topic here)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

You can add languages that includes currency symbols.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express