Surface RT with Type Cover 2 touchpad erratic after firmware update?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by zahgrim, Jun 26, 2014.

1. zahgrim

zahgrim New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I didn't see a forum specific to Surface RT, so I am posting in general.

I have a Surface RT and Type Cover 2. I verified my 8 RT recovery image before applying 8.1, and I have recovery drives for both editions. I rolled back to 8 to verify after 8.1 has been applied that 8 can still be recovered. After verifying a good 8 recovery, I proceeded recover back to 8.1 (wiping the drive in all recovery . Before recovering, I observed Windows Update detected an eligible update "System Firmware Update - 1/15/2014". Figuring it must be specific to 8, I proceeded with the restore. Unsurprisingly, 8.1 also detected and has now applied the update.

Since the update, the touchpad on the Type Cover 2 jumps erratically when I let up. To rule out software, I booted to the 8 RT recovery drive, and the setup dialog also exhibits the same touchpad erratic behavior.

This URL cites the following and gives me reason to think it could be related:
    Microsoft Surface RT update history | Surface firmware updates
    January 2014 updates
    Windows RT 8.1

Surface Type Cover 2 firmware
    These updates improve the experience of using a second generation Type Surface Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.
    Surface Touch Cover 2 firmware
    These updates improve the experience of using a second generation Surface Touch Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.

Has anyone else seen this type of issue?

2. kundas1

kundas1 Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I know on my ex's Surface RT, the typepad stopped working with one of the updates... no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work! thinking it was her typepad I attached it to MY S2 and it worked... still haven't figured it out to this day...