What's new

Surface screen broken , Repair options ?

bluegrass

I never usually buy extended warranties but in the case of my Surface purchase, I did. I was afraid of something like happened to you might happen or I'd drop it in the river when fly fishing. If I never need it, I won't regret spending the extra money. Truly sorry to hear of your incident. No way would I try the eBay deal above.

Steve38

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to also comment. DO NOT PHONE MICROSOFT SUPPORT AT ALL if you accidently break your screen, if you can still purchase the full extended warranty coverage that includes accidental coverage within 45 days of your original purchase!!!

I recently had a Surface Pro 3 bought for me, and within 5 days of having it, it dropped from a couch on to the floor, and the screen shattered. I phoned Microsoft support as I was not sure about my warranty, because it was a gift. Due to the fact that I told them about the cracked screen this made me ineligible to purchase the extended warranty even though I fall well before the 45 days. So essentially being honest does not pay off here.

They will mark your file and the extended warranty will not help you because you reported it broken before you purchased the extended warranty. I know this may be common sense not to phone, but I had the same thing happen to me with an Apple Ipad Air, and they told me to actually purchase the coverage over the phone.

GoodBytes

Yes. You have to be careful on what you say. Technically it is written as such, and they do they job. On portable systems, I personally always get extended warranty (it's the only thing I do get it on). Small compact and powerful devices is asking for trouble. Heat will cause damage on (well break) components that are not 100% at manufacturing and break (I am talking about: capacitors, resistors, and so on). As for a tablet device such as the Surface Pro, even more reason to get the extended warranty, as you have accidental damage protection and it is a device that can fall on you and break.

But the OP case, he said that it is over a year, and is, therefore, out of warranty.