What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

simonking

Interesting. Isn't the firmware update persistent? I've already installed it. Doesn't that update part of the hardware EEPROM's or similar, such that simply uninstalling a driver wouldn't just undo it?

I'm going to try and install the driver by manually pointing to the INF file now; I'll let you know where that leads momentarily :)

simonking

Not much luck - I've got just a gig of free space left, and the driver install fails with insufficient free disk space errors. A gig insufficient for a driver - the world we live in :)

Not much luck - I've got just a gig of free space left, and the driver install fails with insufficient free disk space errors. A gig insufficient for a driver - the world we live in :)

I had the same issue with the newest drivers from microsoft (version from 6/10/2014), so I installed the latest drivers from Intel's website to fix the problem...which is now fixed. After you install the Intel display drivers, you'll probably have to reinstall the Wacom pen driver as well since it seem to have deactivated my pen.

An often overlooked step is you want to download a program called Driver Sweeper (google it) and use that to completely clean out your old display drivers before installing the new Intel ones.

Instructions:
1. download Intel driver (Zipped version, not *.exe from May 2014) from intel's website under Graphics 4400 Laptop drivers
2. Go to Device Manager and into Graphics Adapter and hit Uninstall Drivers (Do not Restart Computer)
3. Open Driver Sweeper program (v3.0.2 I think) and select Intel Chipset, then Analyze, then Delete the two that pops up in the next screen.
4. Restart Computer now
5. Go back to Device Manager and into Graphics Adapter and select Install Driver ---> Let me pick driver from location ----> Go to the GraphicsDriver folder from your extracted Zip folder and select the *.inf file.
6. Restart Computer
7. Reinstall Wacom Pen driver if needed.
8. Turn off Autoupdate in Windows Update under Control Panel so it won't reinstall the Microsoft Display drivers back onto your system.
9. Enjoy.

simonking

That's an incredible amount of work for a system that must be running out of the box, where MS controls both the hardware and software. It's incredible one has to prevent driver updates from installing thanks to the bugs they contain.

Is it possible to uninstall the firmware update? I have a new issue since installing it. The following devices appear to be unrecognized on my Surface Pro 2 on each reboot:
Untitled.png
Has anyone else run into this? It is also causing my Surface Pro 2 to blue-screen when shutting down.

Edit: The issue does sometimes go away in between reboots. When it does, there's no problem shutting down. When the devices are undetected after booting up, its a nightmare with all kinds of random issues with apps, that won't go away until cold-reboots which result in the devices being detected successfully. Happened after the latest firmware upgrade as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Well. Nvidia doesn't have this problem. They make sure that their drivers works with all the system that have their products in. Why Intel is special? In fact, Nvidia uses 1 drivers to rule them all, model. Where they have 4 drivers:
-> GeForce desktop, GeForce mobiole, Quadro, and Quadro mobile. No mater what graphic card model you pick within the right range (Quadro or GeForce), and OS, the drivers are identical. No headaches, no complications.

You can't uninstall a firmware or back in to older version, but the firmware that Microsoft releases via Windows Update, also includes drivers, and those you can uninstall or update (although the firmware update will show up again in Windows Update).
I don't have these problems that you are experiencing. Something went wrong in the firmware upgrade. I would try and re-install it, or refresh the system and re-update the firmware form there (all data will be lost, so backup your stuff before, and all programs will need to be re-installed). And yes, I have Visual Studio (2013 Pro)

simonking

OK, I managed to install the Intel driver. And, define a couple of custom resolutions: 1024x576 and 800x450. However now, even though these are defined, there seems to be no way to switch to them! How do I active the custom resolutions?

Edit - after rebooting this seems to have propagated through the system.

Last edited:
Installed the new drivers that fixed the gradient issues. Skyrim loading screen smoke now looks great again!

One question though; I really liked not having the control panels on the R-Click context menus. It just lags my desktop whenever I right click on it. Is there anyway to remove or relocate them from this menu?

OP
G

GoodBytes

Installed the new drivers that fixed the gradient issues. Skyrim loading screen smoke now looks great again!

One question though; I really liked not having the control panels on the R-Click context menus. It just lags my desktop whenever I right click on it. Is there anyway to remove or relocate them from this menu?

Now Yes! :)
And the gradient issue should be fixed when you turn off "Dynamic adjust the contrast ratio" with the official Surface Pro 2 drivers. But I think you are better off with the latest drivers as the Intrel Control Panel is gone from the latest one.

Now Yes! :)
And the gradient issue should be fixed when you turn off "Dynamic adjust the contrast ratio" with the official Surface Pro 2 drivers. But I think you are better off with the latest drivers as the Intrel Control Panel is gone from the latest one.

So you recommend the latest drivers as opposed to Intel's? Any specific reason for this? :)