What's new

Surface updates

gman713

I recently purchased a new Surface Pro and kept updating all of the latest patches etc. Now when I go back to Update, all I get is a spinning circle and nothing comes up. I was at least expecting some messaging stating there are no new updates, but all I get is a spinning circle. Any ideas why nothing is coming up?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unofficially, I saw something about a recent patch causing this but its not been identified.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went looking for it but could only find a reference to an issue on Win7, I may have assumed it was more widespread. Regardless as the offending patch remains unidentified it couldn't be removed.

Try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

kundas1

there is an MS tool that has been posted on here but I cant remember what it was called but it scanned and cleared any errors and fixed that... going to try to locate it...

OP
G

gman713

Okay, cool! Thanks for your quick responses. I'll try later tonight. I read a few folks had the same problem on the MS Community forums. One method stated doing a clean boot if the troubleshooter doesn't work. The only thing I installed last was MS Office 2013, but I was able to install two rounds of updates prior to this last issue. I think the last update contained a bunch of .net 4 patches.

OP
G

gman713

I used the Windows update using the tool and the tool actually corrected an error but when I ran the System Update from the Charm bar, all I got was a spinning circle and a blank page. So I did another system update check from the desktop control panel and it found an update and installed it fine (for windows only, not the Surface Pro). I rebooted and rechecked from the control panel and it finally stopped checking and stated I was up-to-date. I'm not sure why the desktop update worked fine but not the from the Charm bar location.

Last edited:

kundas1

ok that happened to me too which is why when I used the tool it fixed it, I think after you fix it with the tool you have to reboot and THEN retry the update via the charms