What's new

Surface Warranty

DutchYee

I got the Surface Pro 3 for around 4 months. I am really happy with the device. That made me thinking about to get a extra warrenty on the Surface. Like the Microsoft Complete. But the Microsoft Complete can only be purchased after 40 days when you bought your Surface. But i bought my Surface at the Microsoft Store.

I am living in the Netherlands. You guys any suggestions?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are numerous third parties who will offer damage protection etc. Just have a search around. It might be that some of these only insure within x days of purchase. I've never used a 3rd party insurer before for electronics so can't offer anything more.

New2ToMe

There are numerous third parties who will offer damage protection etc.

Do a search on Amazon for reviews on third party warranty first. Not a pretty sight. :)

Why bother with extending warranty? Since it has performed fine so long, it will almost certainly stay working unless you drop it or something.

Very few extended warranties ACTUALLY cover drop damage. Please do a lot of research before sending money off for extended warranties, check for additional fees for any repairs, (deductibles) the details are in the walls of fine print.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do a search on Amazon for reviews on third party warranty first. Not a pretty sight. :)

Why bother with extending warranty? Since it has performed fine so long, it will almost certainly stay working unless you drop it or something.

Very few extended warranties ACTUALLY cover drop damage. Please do a lot of research before sending money off for extended warranties, check for additional fees for any repairs, (deductibles) the details are in the walls of fine print.

Why bother? Well you answered that yourself. Many companies cover accidental damage be it drop, water, ran it over with your car, but yes, most will require additional money for each claim, no different to microsofts extended warranty. As with any insurance policy for anything at all, of course you read the t&c to see just what is what.

There are many reputable companies out there, and amazon would be the very last place i'd look for a fair assessment of the companies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OP should take a look. I can't think of any other options at the moment.

It will certainly be dependant on the country, but because of (apple) smartphones, i would be incredibly surprised if there was any developed country that doesn't have a reputable company offering such a service. If not, then OP should tell me where he lives and i'm gonna go and get rich! :)

OP
DutchYee

DutchYee

Thank you guys for the replies. I found a Dutch company called CoverYou. The review are good and the price is prettty normal. 116 euro's for one year. This include damage of falling / water and get robbed.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you guys for the replies. I found a Dutch company called CoverYou. The review are good and the price is prettty normal. 116 euro's for one year. This include damage of falling / water and get robbed.

Just make sure to read the small print to see if they include any exceptions to what they actually cover. I know that for theft, despite having insurance it is often impossible to win a claim, lots of requirements such as it only covers theft from your own house, you have to have reported the theft to the police within 48 hours etc. Sounds good though.