What's new

surface was unplugged and off, woke up to find it off, VERY HOT and not turning on.....

macmee

It was off all night, NOT plugged in, so why is it hot?

What the heck is happening to this machine when it's not even on for it to heat up until the battery dies?

Not that I even have to say it but yes I'm on W10.

Oh yeah and now even though it's plugged in, it doesn't turn on.

these steps don't work: Surface won’t turn on | Windows won’t start | Troubleshoot Surface battery

^ I THINK SHE'S DEAD :(

edit: but damn their support team is really friendly at least :p

Last edited:
OP
macmee

macmee

It probably fried the motherboard when running 100% CPU without fans kicking in on connected standby

Agreed, but what scares the crap out of me, and should scare most of us really, is that the system ALLOWED it to run like this when in standby.

It might be safer to turn on hibernate or power down after using the device in W10. This seems like just about the worst bug that could happen.

A buggy software/OS can pretty much make a 15W TDP chip cook a motherboard without fans.

If it was a Surface 3 with 2-4 W TDP Atom, it would have survived.....

Fortunately mine didn't suffer this excessive CPU usage bug while on connected standby.

Can't go back to 8.1 without clean install now since the 1 month deadline is over...

ScottyS

Agreed, but what scares the crap out of me, and should scare most of us really, is that the system ALLOWED it to run like this when in standby.

It might be safer to turn on hibernate or power down after using the device in W10. This seems like just about the worst bug that could happen.
I've had it power on while in the carrying bag. I do Power/Shut Down before I put it in my bag to go to work and I've had it be on when I take it out and open the type cover. I've had it get hot in the bag too, even if I shut it down.

yojeen

I have the same problem ever since upgrade to win 10. So far I haven't got any clue how to solve it. @ScottyS when you switch the power button and off the sp3, could you hear any little sound like electricity just put ur ear besides the louver? u may check it out.

ScottyS

I have the same problem ever since upgrade to win 10. So far I haven't got any clue how to solve it. @ScottyS when you switch the power button and off the sp3, could you hear any little sound like electricity just put ur ear besides the louver? u may check it out.
Haven't noticed any sounds, but will check. I have pressing the power button set to sleep. I shut down by Start Menu/Power/Shut Down, which shuts down so that it can use Fast Startup. But that still should be "off" and not partially on with it "listening" for devices (like it does in Connected Standby) in the back ground.

I should also add I've had the issue where it goes back on after shut down in Win8.1 too.

kristalsoldier

Fortunately mine didn't suffer this excessive CPU usage bug while on connected standby.

Can't go back to 8.1 without clean install now since the 1 month deadline is over...

Quick Question: Related but OT though: Once that 1-month deadline expired, what happened to the windows.old folder on your system. Did you delete it? Thanx.

ScottyS

Quick Question: Related but OT though: Once that 1-month deadline expired, what happened to the windows.old folder on your system. Did you delete it? Thanx.
My windows.old folder went from 16GB to 418Kb all by itself. I was going to eventually use Clean Up System Files to reclaim that space, but one day noticed I had a lot more GB on my C: drive and it was windows.old; it had been pruned down to a Drivers folder and a DriverStore folder.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My windows.old folder went from 16GB to 418Kb all by itself. I was going to eventually use Clean Up System Files to reclaim that space, but one day noticed I had a lot more GB on my C: drive and it was windows.old; it had been pruned down to a Drivers folder and a DriverStore folder.
I'm assuming you upgraded to W10 more than 30 days ago. The rollback to 8.1 is supposed to be available for 30 days and whacking that would seem the logical answer to your observation.