What's new

Surface won't turn. Return or Refurbish

jacewt

So out of nowhere, I get home, it won't turn on. I call Microsoft and they have no advance return anymore. Supposedly, I go back and forth and they tell me they changed their policy today. What a coincidence. I tell them it's not acceptable. I didn't buy at the MS store so I can't take it back there either. They can't guarantee they'll send me a new one because of supply issues. So, I know they don't have factory refurbished ones so I am thinking they'll send me someone else's return that has god knows what problems that they think I won't notice.

I am still under 30 days from purchase and I am very disappointed that this thing just doesn't work, suddenly after being left on my desk. I don't think I want their "not even refurbished" crap. I am thinking my best option is to return it for my money back and see if there's another PC maker that's worth my time. I don't even know if they'll take my type cover back or my extended warranty money.

I am frustrated. I was excited over this machine, I really enjoyed it but booo. Come on Microsoft, get it together.

Chung

you can throw it on the ground in a very angry fashion or be patient and do RMA like a normal person. things happen, and the best option usually is to follow policy and return for repair.

OP
J

jacewt

you can throw it on the ground in a very angry fashion or be patient and do RMA like a normal person. things happen, and the best option usually is to follow policy and return for repair.

You really think that this is acceptable? I have dealt with Amazon and Mac with their products. You get much better service. It sounded to me like they're having a lot of RMAs and they couldn't handle the returns. It's why they switched to no advance return.

J515OP

Super Moderator
You really think that this is acceptable? I have dealt with Amazon and Mac with their products. You get much better service. It sounded to me like they're having a lot of RMAs and they couldn't handle the returns. It's why they switched to no advance return.

I think the point is there is nothing you can do about it if that is what they told you would be the resolution. Did you consider that it may be a supply issue just like they told you and not have anything to do with the amount of RMAs or the ability to handle returns? We know there is a shortage of the device and perhaps they simply don't have any more to offer. It's not like they have the ability to conjure these out of thin air. Like everybody else you are just going to have to wait until they get more if you decide to exchange.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Also are you sure the Surface is charged? Do you get the white light on the charger tip when connected to the Surface? How long have you let it charge? Have you tried holding the power button for 15 seconds to make sure it is powered off and then pres the button for a couple of seconds again to turn it back on? Did you take any other action to trouble shoot it?

OP
J

jacewt

Oh it's been charging for hours now. The light is on. I've held the button for 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds. I've done all that. I am not a newbie when it comes to tablets or computers. This thing is dead.

I would have waited if they had guaranteed me a new computer. This thing is still within the 30 day return policy. There's no reason not to offer me that. I wanted to return it to the MS store because I am close by and honestly it's easier than shipping it. They would not let me do that either.

If I RMA I am going to get someone's beatup computer. I took good care of mine, there's not a scratch to be found and that's not likely what I will get back.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Just checking since you didn't actually mention trouble shooting. I understand wanting to get a new one since it is days old and that is reasonable. I am not sure you be relegated to a refurb though. I suppose that is sort of luck of the draw.

OP
J

jacewt

The other problem is that these aren't even refurbs. These are things that people returned. Customer service rep claims most of those issues were resolved with recent Windows Update. I don't recall many people complaining of crippling software problems. The only thing they can't guarantee is that I'd be getting a working computer. I am not sure what the definition of working is how many tests they put them through once they processes the RMAs. Sounds so dodgy.

J515OP

Super Moderator
All I can tell you is many people have been through the return process and some several times for various reasons and the vast majority have had good experiences with the process. I don't how you can be so sure that returning your Surface is going to be such a raw deal for you. I do know that if you don't return it you appear to be stuck with a dead machine. So your options appear to be stick with what you have or proceed with the RMA. One is known to be a defective unit the other one could be perfectly fine.

JP

MMU

Agreed. In my experience it's better to go into the return process with an optimistic attitude. Believing the worst (receiving a beat up exchange without any supporting evidence) does not help at all.

I imagine you will end up with a fully functioning unit that is identical to the one that died.