What's new

SurfaceBook Crashes/Shutdowns during sleep

Joel Loeng

My SB (i5, 256gb, 8gb, GeforceGPU) keeps crashing/freezing during sleep which causes it to shut down. According to the windows reliability monitor it has been happening every day multiple time. I though I was going crazy because I clearly remember not turning it off before putting it to sleep. Here's an image.

Attachments

• 2016-03-30 (1).png
    2016-03-30 (1).png
    247.6 KB · Views: 678

Niterider4

Sleep is a mess with the Surface Book. I have to set my SB to Sleep instead of Hibernate, because otherwise I cannot detach the screen and have it auto-rotate half the time. However, with Sleep you basically have to shut down the SB if you won't be using it, because it doesn't really sleep. Yesterday, I closed the lid on my SB at 4:30 p.m. This morning at 7:30 a.m., both batteries were at zero.

Neither Sleep nor Hibernate works properly with the Surface Book. Just another example of the numerous bugs and shoddy quality control that is the Surface Book.

ncameron

Sleep is a mess with the Surface Book. I have to set my SB to Sleep instead of Hibernate, because otherwise I cannot detach the screen and have it auto-rotate half the time. However, with Sleep you basically have to shut down the SB if you won't be using it, because it doesn't really sleep. Yesterday, I closed the lid on my SB at 4:30 p.m. This morning at 7:30 a.m., both batteries were at zero.

Neither Sleep nor Hibernate works properly with the Surface Book. Just another example of the numerous bugs and shoddy quality control that is the Surface Book.

I cannot contradict these statements; each of us has their own experiences with the SB.
All I can say is that after successfully competing a "DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess" process (fully described elsewhere) my SB can now sleep and hibernate and awake gracefully from both.

Niterider4

When you do the DSIM procedure, does that remove all of your programs and settings? Is it basically a Windows restore?

JaeMelo

I cannot contradict these statements; each of us has their own experiences with the SB.
All I can say is that after successfully competing a "DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess" process (fully described elsewhere) my SB can now sleep and hibernate and awake gracefully from both.

If sleep truly works properly than your laptop should automatically wake upon opening the screen or upon input to the keyboard/trackpad if already opened. It should not require you to press the power button and should not bootup through the surface loading screen. It should instantly take you to the login screen. If you can show us proof of this via a video than I'm sure you'd be helping many people and would also be the very first in the World.

As a matter of fact for starters can you show us that it has not been remove by doing a screenshot of your Power Options Screen on your Surface Book. :)

aLvcnT.png

As far as I know all surface books had the sleep function removed in the previous update. PS I dont mean to be a dick but the DSIM procedure doesn't add nor fix the sleep function/issue. I promise you this becuase I did this some time ago as it is apart of the sfcscannow fix.

Last edited:

ncameron

2016-04-01 (1).png

See above. Connected Standby has to be set to ON in the Registry of course.
As for waking; if I open the lid within 2 hours it will wake automatically.
If it is after 2 hrs (when it is set to go into hibernation) then I have to press the power button - I think this is how it is designed to work, and I think that's reasonable.
Here is the video of it awakening automatically from sleep:

Attachments

• 2016-04-01 (1).png
    2016-04-01 (1).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 617

JaeMelo

Ahh but see messing with the registry to activate a dependency for a working sleep function is entirely outside of the dsim /sfcscan procedure. You may want to include the link for people here who are interested in a working sleep function again. Telling people the DSIM procedure will fix the sleep function is half the truth.

Edit never called you an idiot or liar but the later isn't far fetch. However my point still stands valid. The DSIM fix does not add the sleep functionality in Power Options. You even admitted to it when bringing up "Connected Standby has to be set to ON in the Registry of course." lol. That was the icing on the cake to my original statement. All of this is outside of the DSIM fix.

Last edited:

ncameron

You have to have Connected Standby on for sleep to function in Windows 10. That is not an SB issue.

Apart from that I had intermittent problems with Sleep and Hibernate with my SB until I did the DSIM fix; after which it all worked fine. That's all I can say...