What's new

SurfaceBook Crashes/Shutdowns during sleep

JaeMelo

You have to have Connected Standby on for sleep to function in Windows 10. That is not an SB issue.

Apart from that I had intermittent problems with Sleep and Hibernate with my SB until I did the DSIM fix; after which it all worked fine. That's all I can say...
No one here said the removal of the sleep functionality was a sole SB issue. NO one said that, not one person, nada lol. Sadly, it is a surface book issue.

Microsoft at the time couldn't fix the battery drain/hot bag issue so their later update removed the sleep function all together as a means for a temporary fix. By removing the function via a reg edit on Microsoft's end they were able to stop the batterydrain/hot bag fiasco related to the sleeping function. However I will say you are in the right for mentioning the DSIM fix as it ties into the corrupted files in relation to sleep problem on the Surface Books. However that is only a piece to the puzzle.

Last edited:

ncameron

I don't know what to say; I have a perfectly working SB (in relation to Sleep and Hibernate) and when I share how I think it got there - I admit I can't be sure 100% - all I get is criticism.
I am assuming that everyone is keeping up to date with all the updates, so I am tempted to explain that I think the DSIM fix has resolved the other issues - as that's all I've done.

As far as I know the Windows 10 default Connected Standby is ON, it certainly is on my other Win 10 systems. Switching it to OFF when the SB misbehaved in the early days was a fudge. Why is it still a fudge to set it back to where it should be if that makes Sleep work?

JaeMelo

I don't know what to say; I have a perfectly working SB (in relation to Sleep and Hibernate) and when I share how I think it got there - I admit I can't be sure 100% - all I get is criticism.
I am assuming that everyone is keeping up to date with all the updates, so I am tempted to explain that I think the DSIM fix has resolved the other issues - as that's all I've done.

As far as I know the Windows 10 default Connected Standby is ON, it certainly is on my other Win 10 systems. Switching it to OFF when the SB misbehaved in the early days was a fudge. Why is it still a fudge to set it back to where it should be if that makes Sleep work?
No problem I assumed you were pushing the DSIM fix from Microsoft was the sole fix but I can see where things got a bit cloudy. Didn't mean to offend but I just didn't want people to go through the DSIM process only to be disappointed. As for your last statement I have no idea. Microsoft is a hot mess at the moment. However Patch Tuesday is coming up and apparently a Firmware Update will follow soon after so hopefully these kinds of threads will fade away..

Niterider4

As far as I know all surface books had the sleep function removed in the previous update.

That is definitely not true. I am up to date on all updates and I definitely have both sleep and hibernate available on my SB.

If I use hibernate, then I have the problem where the screen does not auto-rotate after being detached (since the 3/22 updates).

If I use sleep, then I have sporadic battery drain.

Pick your poison.

Since I know that I am not alone with either of these issues, I am going to hold out for a firmware update and see if it fixes things. I can't be bothered to go through the DSIM process, because I usually plug my SB in every night, so I can live with the sleep issues.

Nuspieds

I am convinced that the 2016.02.17 update resolved the Power/Sleep issues for a lot of people, but I am also convinced that it did not for a lot of people, too; I'm in the latter group, unfortunately.

Post the update, it is still shutting down during sleep; or, black screen and keyboard works (Fn and/or Caps Lock lights also illuminate); or, black screen with mouse pointer and keyboard works (Fn and/or Caps Lock lights also illuminate). In any case, as long as I get the black screen, I have no choice but to hold the power button down to shut it off and then reboot. Extremely frustrating. :mad:

Samson080808

I have this issue. When the SB sleeps it will reboot at some point. I will think I am resuming from hibernate but then see all windows and apps closed, suggesting a crash / shutdown. Checking the event viewer I will see confirmation:

Event 6008: The previous system shutdown at 21:35:45 on ‎15/‎05/‎2016 was unexpected.
Event 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Even with the all the updates it is still happening. Has anyone managed to find a fix?

sfbrown67

Still trying to analyze the circumstances that generate Event 41. Here are my observations so far. Event 41's seem to occur when the SB is used with the screen connected but reversed (eg in tablet format) and an external monitor connected (2560x1080) and left on for an extended period.