What's new

Surfacegate

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Apple is also crap at handling user problems (the macbook graphics card lawsuit being a great example)

but it's much more rare to see apple screw up. Windows machines sell because they're cheap. Apple machines sell (at outrageous prices) because they're not pieces of s**t.

Also if my rImac or rMBP break I can just send it back to apple with applecare and get a new fixed device. I could exchange my surface 5 times and I'd still have problems because I think every surface is plagued with some of these hilariously trivial issues.

think about it this way: we're on the 4th iteration of the surface and Microsoft still has no idea what the hell they're doing in terms of power management software. Also, my netbook from 2007 has more reliable wifi. And for that, I think we deserve an apology.
None of my Surfaces have had issues outside of some software/driver issues. I've owned:

3x Surface RT
3x Surface 2
3x Surface Pro 2
3x Surface Pro 3
1x S3
1x Surface Pro 4

The driver issues with SkyLake are frustrating, but they have been in market 3 months and for the SP4 nearly all issues have been fixed, The SB issues are more troublesome due to trying to implement Dual GPUs again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
IMU there were fairly significant changes introduced with Skylake with respect to power management so anything you did before you can pretty much throw out as this is a completely different kind of animal.

IDC what Apple does, has done, will do; it just doesn't concern me.

I suppose if we can accept that a support forum post from what would typically be classified as, a person not authorized to speak, is Microsoft's Official response we'll just close this case as nobody gives rats ass. We should tell Paul Thurrott he's wasting his digital ink and may as well go pound sand because even deaf ears are tuning him out.

The xxx-gate is and has always been about how you handle messes, not the mess itself. The mess has it's own consequences but how you handle the mess defines you.
I don't know anything that can be any more official than this? Josh and Greg are leading the Support Engineering Team for Surface, they own all of the Firmware and Driver Updates for all in Market Devices. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-to-our-customers-from-the-microsoft-surface/

upload_2016-1-23_9-24-3.png

I put in a complaint with Microsoft on the 11 December via the official complaint channels with a reference number. I have yet to have Microsoft even acknowledge it, let alone respond to it.

I don't think there is any reason to bring up Apple in this thread. This should never be about how Apple responds to complaints or how reliable or unreliable they are or we set the expectations wrong. Even if your opinions are that Apple had poor gear and poor customer service, there would be no excuse for the way things have been handled by Microsoft.

From my perspective, someone at MS messed up, MS needs to fix it, and someone should be fired. They have collective cost customers millions in lost time, reinstalls, travelling back to stores to replace goods etc, so I can't fathom how someone in management was unaware of the issue (if they weren't aware, they should be fired for not being in touch with whats happening).

jrioux

...I don't think there is any reason to bring up Apple in this thread...
The ONLY reason why Apple is discussed in this thread is that the OP quoted Thurrott, who re-wrote history by saying that "Jobs did the right thing" when responding to Antennagate and then admonished Microsoft's response to Surfacegate in comparison.

The OP brought up the comparison to Apple, so its been repeated by other posters.

None of my Surfaces have had issues outside of some software/driver issues. I've owned:

3x Surface RT
3x Surface 2
3x Surface Pro 2
3x Surface Pro 3
1x S3
1x Surface Pro 4

The driver issues with SkyLake are frustrating, but they have been in market 3 months and for the SP4 nearly all issues have been fixed, The SB issues are more troublesome due to trying to implement Dual GPUs again.
The SP3 had a horrific failure rate for us. It was around 10% early on - which is extremely high. I have a 114 in my environment currently. I have two SP4's that I'm certifying in which one had to be RMA'd already due to a battery that would quit charging (even after the driver update). HP is another vendor that supplies most of our equipment and if they had anywhere near this kind of failure rate I would be dumping them.
I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt because they have shown continual effort to improve firmware and drivers and they have delivered fantastic customer service. However, I can only be led so far before I cut my losses with Microsoft devices.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP3 had a horrific failure rate for us. It was around 10% early on - which is extremely high. I have a 114 in my environment currently. I have two SP4's that I'm certifying in which one had to be RMA'd already due to a battery that would quit charging (even after the driver update). HP is another vendor that supplies most of our equipment and if they had anywhere near this kind of failure rate I would be dumping them.
I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt because they have shown continual effort to improve firmware and drivers and they have delivered fantastic customer service. However, I can only be led so far before I cut my losses with Microsoft devices.
We have over 100 SP3 deployed and have had 4 RMA'd 2 of which were caused by users dropping them. We currently have 5 SBs and 5 SP4s deployed and outside the driver issues all are working.

Gerke

Paul Thurrot is bashing MSFT, he acts like an infant because he isn't receiving his presents anymore.

I like to read honest reviews and articles, so ditch Thurrot

bluegrass

I've owned a bunch of Apple products and a bunch of Microsoft products and I always have many more issues with my microsoft products than I do my apple products.

Could it be that Microsoft does and is capable of doing a lot more (albeit, sometimes more difficult) than Apple does.

Last edited: