What's new

Swapping my SP3 for a new SP3 -- Advice Needed

otherminds

There is a minor technical issue with my SP3, so I will be swapping it under the warranty for a new one, and I was hoping for some advice. What preliminary steps should I take with my old one before I trade it back in? Meaning, how can I best prepare myself to get the new SP3 set up like my old one?

I know the obvious stuff: back up files, etc. But I was hoping for some pointers on the things that might not be so obvious.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I thank you all in advance :)

Telstar1948

If you have a ton of stuff on your old SP3, then perhaps an image of your old SSD may be the way to go - less time and fuss. You'll need Macrium or something similar.

I use OneDrive (and Google Drive too) for some things, particularly for access across multiple devices, but I also have a USB 3 external drive where Macrium backs up my SP3 drive incrementally to it day-by-day through my MS dock. That way if I have to exchange/replace my SP3 (damaged, stolen, whatever), I can put everything back on the new device with almost no fuss or time involved.

Once you're ready to go (all backed up and verified), then reset your old SP3 so all data is written over before turning it in.

OP
otherminds

otherminds

If i create an image of my old SSD, will that prevent me from having to reinstall all the old software (photoshop, etc?) Thanks!

Telstar1948

Yes, that's the beauty of an image - software, settings, everything...I've not had to find out...yet...but if you read about imaging all the information states that literally everything is carried over to the new drive.

Telstar1948

There are probably such on YouTube, but I'm not acquainted with any specifically. The imaging software you obtain for this may offer tutorials on their website.

kwizatz

I ended up having to get a replacement for my SP3 last weekend after my screen cracked :(.

I was able to use the free edition of Macrium Reflect 5 to successfully create an image of the old Surface and restore that image to the new Surface, seems to be working fine. Let me know if you still need help and I can try and walk you through the steps I took.

OP
otherminds

otherminds

I ended up having to get a replacement for my SP3 last weekend after my screen cracked :(.

I was able to use the free edition of Macrium Reflect 5 to successfully create an image of the old Surface and restore that image to the new Surface, seems to be working fine. Let me know if you still need help and I can try and walk you through the steps I took.

Thank you very much for the info. It turns out that for whatever reason, I am covered under the warranty until September. So my plan is to keep this until the SP4 drops in July, purchase that, and then get a replacement SP3 and sell it to recoup funds.

Thanks!