What's new

Switched to Chrome(64) from Firefox

seyclone

I've never liked Chrome because I always saw it as being to nosy and intrusive. But I just had my eyes opened.
Both Internet Explorer and Firefox have been disappointing on my SP3 because both felt really "clunky" - jerky finger scrolling, insensitivity to either touch or mouse clicks on some URL's .
I downloaded Chrome yesterday as part of my installation of Chromecast, and decided to give it a try. What a change! The look and feel are definitely very iPad-like (I have a couple of iPads).
Looks like a rosy future for Chrome and me :)

Arizona Willie

Chrome continues running in the background even after you have shut it off.

The only way to get it to completely stop is to reboot.

Chrome is invasive and is no longer on my computers.

In a way, it is a virus itself.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My psychic powers are seeing a Chrome colored hold in your battery draining it of it's precious stores. :D

OP
seyclone

seyclone

Chrome continues running in the background even after y ou have shut it off.

I always felt the same way, but if you go into advanced settings you can tell Chrome to stop running background processes when you have shut it down. I'm going to give it some time and see what happens.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chrome continues running in the background even after you have shut it off.

Chrome is invasive and is no longer on my computers.

Surely you could just end process? I can't find any instance of chrome running in the background of mine right now. I just right clicked on the quick access icon and told it not to run in the background.

zhenya

Not the general opinion of Chrome on this device. Scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as in IE. It will sabotage your battery life by hacking the system timer clock and just being generally more resource intensive when running scripts or playing video. I've used Chrome exclusively for years, but I've left it almost entirely now for IE.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If people knew the depth of data mining it probably would be considered Malware. Perhaps the backlash against Superfish will catch on and expand. I do believe Marketing's data collection is a bigger threat to the average citizen than the Alphabet Soup agencies and governments activities.

JoshB

The only issue I have not fixed with Chrome is the scrolling with touchpad. If you do a slow scroll it is perfectly fine. If you do a quick scroll it is wierd. (It jumps to the final position instead of smooth scrolling to it. There is an extension to help with this, but it was hard for me to get it to feel right.)

Some suggestions. I recommend turning off "Use Hardware Acceleration" in Advanced Settings. After doing this I noticed a BIG change in battery life and the fan basically never kicks in any more when just using Chrome.

I agree, you can turn it off so that it will not run background processes. If it is running in the background there is normally a tray Icon, just right click it and look for option to disable background processes.
(Just noticed that there is a setting next to Use Hardware Acceleration is a setting to Run applications in background. Un-check that.)

As for data mining, meh. Their services provide so much good and convenient features that I do not care about the data that they do get from me, for example; I do not care if they know where I am at and that I like oranges.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the issue with data mining. They know more about you than you know about yourself. If you want confirmation of that call a bank or brokerage and pretend you've lost access to your account. The detailed information they will ask, far beyond anything you gave them is all you should need to hear.

know this, everyone will leak or sell the data they have on you. Once your Uber-Profile is assembled and created your only protection from identity theft is to get a new *witness protection style* identity. This dirty little secret is already here for many. That's why you should care, once the horse is out of the barn it's too late, as everything that's been collected is forever just like anything on the Internet.

Arizona Willie

Run Process Monitor and you will see Chrome continues activity continuously no matter what settings you click.
Once you run it, the only way to get it to completely stop is to reboot.
Some of Chrome's processes continue to run no matter what you do.

And I liked Chrome and was using it until I discovered this while chasing down other problems.

Now I'm back to Firefox and IE and Chrome is gone.

Surely you could just end process? I can't find any instance of chrome running in the background of mine right now. I just right clicked on the quick access icon and told it not to run in the background.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run Process Monitor and you will see Chrome continues activity continuously no matter what settings you click.
Once you run it, the only way to get it to completely stop is to reboot.
Some of Chrome's processes continue to run no matter what you do.

And I liked Chrome and was using it until I discovered this while chasing down other problems.

Now I'm back to Firefox and IE and Chrome is gone.

What should i be looking for in Process Monitor? Just installed it and had a look see and i can't find anything identifiable as chrome, unless i start chrome, and then there it is.

Arizona Willie

After you run Chrome and stop it and run Process Monitor, you will see activity that is related to Chrome. Some things you have to put your cursor on and right click them ( in the top window ) and it will search the net and show you what that item does. Many things have names that tell us nothing or give a misleading idea what they are doing but mostly they just don't tell us a damn thing with their name.

With Process Monitor you can track disk activity, memory activity, and network activity --- you might be surprised to see some of the stuff going on when you think your computer isn't doing anything.

But, Chrome leaves things running after it is shut off and there is no reason for them to continue.
The average user has no idea that Chrome is still running and, possibly / likely, gathering information and calling home.

Myself, I don't like programs that act like ET and call home --- especially when they do it in the background and don't tell me they are doing it.

So I used Revo Uninstaller on it and removed all traces --- gotta love THAT program.

Don't miss Chrome at all.