What's new

System corrupt after sfc scan

Lynkdev

I've recently ran a sfc /scannow scan of my system to which it ends with some files are corrupt and stored to the cbs file.

I've already tried using the USB restore stick i got from Microsoft. tried resetting twice now with same corruption. CBS log attached if someone can help me fix this problem please?

Attachments

• cbs.txt
    4.4 MB · Views: 564

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you actually experiencing a problem or just chasing ghosts?
There have been a couple problems with detections of issues by sfc which are either false positives or uncorrectable with no symptoms.

Try issuing the following command at an admin command prompt
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Or
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Where "/Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows" points to a local source copy otherwise the default location for Features on Demand is used.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Repair a Windows Image

OP
L

Lynkdev

Are you actually experiencing a problem or just chasing ghosts?
There have been a couple problems with detections of issues by sfc which are either false positives or uncorrectable with no symptoms.

Try issuing the following command at an admin command prompt
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Or
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Where "/Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows" points to a local source copy otherwise the default location for Features on Demand is used.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Repair a Windows Image

Thanks,

My system seems to be running a bit slow doing anything like browsing and or running scans with other programs. I usually do an sfc scan every couple months and if everything checks out i make a backup after.
Is this command only going to work while in win 8.1 before upgrading to 10? its not finding the source files even after specifying the drive path. Says image is repairable though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ADs are atrocious anymore you absolutely must run an ADBlocker. Over a year ago the AD industry admitted they went over the top and promised to self regulate. That appears to have been nothing more than lip service and things have gotten even worse.

OP
L

Lynkdev

ADs are atrocious anymore you absolutely must run an ADBlocker. Over a year ago the AD industry admitted they went over the top and promised to self regulate. That appears to have been nothing more than lip service and things have gotten even worse.

AD's?

OP
L

Lynkdev

So i went through the process again of resetting to windows 8.1, updated fully without doing the win 10 update and decided to run sfc /scannow.

Checked out with no issues. Decided to run the win 10 update, make sure everything was updated once complete and ran sfc /scannow again and file system corrupt again...ugh.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you having issues with the SP3? Is the Windows 10 Upgrade causing crashes, lockups, etc.?

OP
L

Lynkdev

Are you having issues with the SP3? Is the Windows 10 Upgrade causing crashes, lockups, etc.?
The thing that led me to doing an sfc scan in the first place was noticing random hangups when running certain programs along with chrome or IE.

I usually will run this after doing my weekly maintenance plan with a backup if everything checks out.

I spent pretty much the whole day working on this yesterday and wanted to see if it would show corrupt in 8.1 and it didn't. The install process for 10 wasn't interrupted at all and looked like it went smooth.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bluegrass

You must be using your system for some pretty serious business. If not, in my opinion you're being overly cautious & protective of your system and not allowing yourself to enjoy computing. Backing up important data is the most important thing anybody who creates data on a computer should do. I would love it if all my clients just did that one thing often. Every thing beyond lost data is pretty much fixable one way or another. As the old tune says, "be happy, don't worry".

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may not be the same issue but this has been reported before with W10 and there are threads all over on it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that led me to doing an sfc scan in the first place was noticing random hangups when running certain programs along with chrome or IE.

I usually will run this after doing my weekly maintenance plan with a backup if everything checks out.

I spent pretty much the whole day working on this yesterday and wanted to see if it would show corrupt in 8.1 and it didn't. The install process for 10 wasn't interrupted at all and looked like it went smooth.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The hangs are most likely caused by Flash or Ads....